Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 cast drain line
Author: extendoplumber (MI)

I can't seem to find out how to connect to an old cast drain pipe for my bathroom sink drain. There is a 4" to 3" reducing branch y that had a broken piece coming out of the 3" part. I chiseled out the broken piece and now I am stuck. I found some rubber boot things at lowes that are supposed to go inside the 3" part, but the are like 3.5" and the opening on the cast is 3 1/8". So my question how do I connect to this cast drain with modern typed plumbing.

My only other option that I could think of, would be to by like a 4" or 5" Ferring rubber boot and go on the outside of the cast, but I don't think that is the best solution here.

Thank you to anyone that can tell me what I need to buy,

A plumbing noob,

Extendoplumber

Re: cast drain line
Author: m & m (MD)

Go to a plumbing supply house and ask for a 3" 'no caulk cast iron hub gasket'. You will need to bevel the edge of the PVC pipe and lube it with silicone caulk before inserting it.

Author: extendoplumber (MI)

Is that what you are talking about? If so it is 3/8" too big. That is the rubber insert I was referring to in my original post.

Thanks for the reply

Joe

Edited 2 times.

Author: steve (CA)

Is there a hub on the wye, that the broken piece came out of? If yes, I take it the lead and oakum are still in the hub and need to be removed, before the donut can be inserted.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.