Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Gas stove question....who should fix a leak??
Author: QJoe (VA)

Hi - last night I noticed a slight odor of gas coming from the cupboard underneath my gas stove.

We shut the valve off and the odor went away.

When we called the gas company they said to call a licensed gas fitter.

When I called a licensed gas fitter they said we needed to call the gas company first to have them "tag" the leak. Or if I thought it was an issue in the stove, to call a company like Sears.

So, I am playing a game of who's on first! Anyone have helpful thoughts??

As soon as I turned off the gas using the red cut off valve in the picture below, the gas odor went away. Just want someone to come and fix it! smile

Thanks!

Joe.

Re: Gas stove question....who should fix a leak??
Author: packy (MA)

joe, it might be you..
take a solution of dishwashing liquid (mixed very thin) and swab it on the connections of that yellow flex connector. one of them may be loose. with the gas turned back on you will see bubbles where it is leaking.
simply tighten the connection that is leaking.
if you don't feel confident, at least you will know where the leak is. you can tell the plumber it is the flex connector.
be sure to turn the gas back off if you don't find nor fix the leak.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

For future reference......Just tell the gas co. you smell gas. Even if you tell them after they arrive about shutting the valve.When all else fails, blame the wife. Call them back and tell them the wife says she still smells gas.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

Here, if you call the gas company, they do NOT locate the leak and tag it. They turn off the meter and lock it until the plumber tests the system, finds the leak, repairs the leak, calls the city to get a repair permit, calls the city for an inspection, the city calls the gas company to come and remove the lock, which they do sometime in the next 48 hours. Any competent plumber can find the leak and fix it without all that hassle. I tell my customers to NEVER call the gas company. Call me first.

Edited 1 times.

quote; you can tell the plumber it is the flex connector.

Maybe he can tell the plumber how to fix it also, because they do not seem to know how on their own.

Author: Plumberpalmer (MA)

Hj no offence but I would never tell anyone to call me before the gas company. What happens if the leak caused an explosion and you told them to call you not the gas co ?

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

I have to ask the obvious question.. Does your stove have automatic ignition or manual pilot lights? If manual, you just may have a a pilot that needs to be cleaned and re-lit.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

I guess there are still areas of the country that treat natural gas with indifference.It's unfortunate that we wait for tragedy before we change policy.

It hasn't happened yet, however, as a practical matter, the people I tell it to have already called the gas company and thus going through the bureaucratic process. If some one does not have a gas leak, there is no reason for me to tell them that. I am just letting them know that they are not going to have gas for a few days because they did call the company. There have been cases where "I" have called them. In most cases the leak is something like this question where they smell the gas but cannot pinpoint its source.

Author: caja715 (Non-US)

gas company is very good here at pinpointing leaks. however in this province there true obligation is only to the meter. They do go above and beyond in locating leaks as a customer service courtesy, and advise them to call a plumber for repair, keeps everyone happy.

Author: packy (MA)

here the gas company will look for a leak and if they find an appliance or a connection to it leaking they will shut the gas valve to that appliance and red tag it.
you will then need to follow the same procedure as hj describes.
the gas company will never fix a leak inside the house. they won't even tighten a flexible connector nut if it is loose.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.