Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Can't shut off water in bathtub
Author: Imnoplumber (CA)

So the piece you pull up to make the shower run fell out and down the drain so I decided to replace the spout, shower head, and handle. I took the handle off and there is a part which I loosened and when i did, it flew off and water started spraying everywhere. I shut off the main and threaded the piece back in. By the way, the piece that flew off is round with a little square sticking out that fits into the handle to turn off and on. And the part that it threads into has 3 holes with a spring in each hole, (one spring also came out which I put back in but it didnt sit flush like the other 2) And that piece has the water lines connected to it from behind. Now if I turn the main back on the water doesn't shut off no matter which way I turn it. What the hell did I do? And how do I fix it? Any plumbing expertise would be greatly appreciated! I Thank you in advance.

Oh yeah, it's a Glacier Bay, single handle, I think the model is UPC? The plate that covers the hole in the tile has UPC on it.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Can't shut off water in bathtub
Author: packy (MA)

glacier bay is a home depot product. i would go to home depot and buy the exact same shower valve. take the new valve apart carefully noting what parts went where.
use the new parts in your old valve body.
then put what's left back in the box and return it all as defective.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Dry it off first!

Author: Imnoplumber (CA)

That's a beautiful idea! Wish you were here 6hrs ago when this all started. It's 4:20am and now maybe I can get some sleep! After I smoke of course... It's 4:20!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I really appreciate your help and idea. And I will be sure to dry it off first! Haha! Thanks guys

7:24 here and heading out for breakfast..
good luck..

Author: sum (FL)

Make sure no soap scum on return parts!

Author: hj (AZ)

Most people would just return it and say they didn't need it.

Author: WC (VA)

Return as defective -- Good
Return "as is" --"not needed" -- Bad

Don't know HD policy - but "if" it would be restocked "as is" (not needed) the NEXT poor buyer gets hooked with problems not of his own making -- I hope the replacement valve that HD gives to you was not also previously returned as "not needed" (with hidden defects).

Defective returned items should be ID' d as such.

quote; Return as defective -- Good

Both are less than "honest". Call the manufacturer and get the parts you need. Apparently you lost something when you took it apart without relieving the pressure. But we cannot tell you what you lost.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

quote:
quote; Return as defective -- Good

Both are less than "h;onest". Thank you sir for telling the truth. Why should anybody else have to pay for somebody's mistake? I learned the hard way to NEVER buy anything that has been opened, and I have still gotten burned on things like light bulbs, etc. It has ruined a few jobs having to return defective goods. People should be willing to pay and LEARN from their mistakes.. If one cannot afford a cheap Glacier Bay faucet, they shouldn't messing with one. That's my rant and I'm sticking to it. smiling smiley

you have to realize that faucet cost less than 9 dollars to make in china.
glacier bay has no quality control nor do the have decent customer support.
the only way to get repair parts from them is to take something off the shelf and canabalize it.
the salesmen in HD do that same thing.
kohler, delta, moen etc will all take care of their customers.
glacier bay pretty much expects that they will have few return customers except for those who care only about price.
my rant for the morning..

quote; the only way to get repair parts from them is to take something off the shelf and canabalize it.

NOT TRUE. If you have a parts diagram, so you know what you need, a call to Glacier Bay/Pegasus WILL get the parts you need.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

yeeeeaaaaaaaaa!

let the DIYer spend 4-8 hours repairing a $14 wholesale fixture

waaaaaay tooooooo goooooo U-S-A

we really are approaching banana republic status

MY rant is now over ...............................................

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

And what would it cost to replace the valve in the wall?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.