Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 basement laundry room rough-in ideas (with images)
Author: Firemantom123 (MO)

Hi. I am moving a laundry room in a basement being finished and was looking for some input I am using a 2 inch drain and vent. I am just not completely sure the best way to arrange the plumbing. I also should probably put in a clean-out somewhere.

If I dont want to make any mistakes or cut any corners that will affect it functioning correctly. I also read washing machines can be notorious for siphoning out the trap in the sink and dont want that problem either. I would like the plumbing to be correct and to code so I am looking for suggestions.

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks again!!!

laundry room:
[@#$%&[s1049.photobucket.com]][/URL]

design #1

If there are any other ideas, feel free to let me know and I will put together a drawing and see if I can get it right.
Thanks again!!!

Edited 2 times.

Re: basement laundry room rough-in ideas (with images)
Author: bernabeu (SC)

both traps are vented

just add a "Y" for a clean out on the 'stack' above the sink tee

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

number one is OK if you move the vent to the lower drain.
the vent stack only needs to be 1 1/2 inch.
as my friend from SC suggested, put a clean out in there somewhere.

Author: hj (AZ)

Congratulations. Five drawings and NONE of them are "okay". The first one is closest, except you have the vent on the wrong drain line.

Hi again. I had a licensed plumber tell me I will only need one trap if I tied them together so that was why I included a few images to see if they were ok or not, but I was not totally sure what he told me was ok.

My washer will be right next to the main drain stack and the sink next to the washer on the right. I have included one edited image to see if that is what I need to do.

I also included 2 other photos from online that someone else posted with the same question because his washer also is closer to the main drain stack. It basically explains the same design I am tring to accomplish.

If its easier, I just might have to flip-flop the washer and sink around so I can put the sink drain above the washer drain and include the "loop vent" for the washer. (shown in the last picure)

Thanks again for your input!

my revised drawing

online photo with a similar question incase im not explaing it very well

If it is easier, I can flip-flop the washer and sink if this is just overall a better setup. I can put the sink on the left side of the washer. (So I would have the main drain stack, then the sink, then the washer)

hope that wasnt too long of a reply.
thanks.

Edited 1 times.

for best long term operation and trouble free drainage I would go with reversing the position of the washer and dryer

imo; put the washer san tee below the sink san tee on the 'stack'

the 'on line' pic would be 'best practice' (as to layout)

Thanks for your input also bernabeu. When you say reverse the position of the washer and dryer for best drainage, I assume you meant washer and sink since you refer to the washer and sink san tee in that post. Thanks for your input!

I will reverse the position of my washer and sink and will follow the plumbing layout in the last picture (the pic with the guy in it) and will also include a clean-out unless you, or anyone else, had any other changes, corrections, or other advice.

Thanks again! I like to complete these projects the right way which may not necessarily be the fastest or easiest so I appreciate everyone constructive advice.

Thanks!

Edited 3 times.

smiling smiley

Your first drawing corrects the problems. If you put the sink above the washer drain, you may be too high to connect the sink drain, because they usually have a very low drain opening. "licensed plumber" just means he knew how to pass a test, or buy his way through it, and has nothing really to do with his abilities.

Edited 1 times.

Thanks hj.

Just making sure you are referring to the following plan if I don't reverse the washer and sink.

And thanks for pointing out the potential problem with the sink drain being too high if placed above the washer drain.

Thanks again hj.

And I appreciate everyone's input

make sure the 'standpipe' for the washer is at least 30" tall to allow for a hi-efficiency unit in the future

if using 'washer box' make sure it is ABOVE the machine for accessability

the roughing for the sink:

waste at 16" above finished floor

supplies at 22" above floor & 8" center to center

Thanks for the additional info.

I had read if the 'standpipe' for the washer was to high it might make the washer pump work harder, and if to low, could cause water to backflow and overflow. I am using a 'washer box' & I will place the top just slightly above the top of the washer for accessibility and drainage. Thanks.

I had also read the standpipe should be between 30-42 inches tall but wasn't sure if that was accurate. Thanks for confirming at least 30" tall.

I will make sure the 'standpipe' is at least 30" inches tall & when complete with the 'box', the box will be above the height of the washer.

Thanks for the rest of your advice too. You cleared up and few others concerns and questions I had.

Thanks again.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

i think 16 is too high for roughing in a laundry sink.
some of those sinks are pretty deep. i would drop it at least a couple of inches.
also, here we go again..
my code says from outlet of fixture to trap can be no more than 24". so a standpipe can only be 24" max.
again, that is MA code and it is always best to check your local code.
the reasoning they give us the draining water is traveling too fast if the distance is more than 24". so, it will travel too fast thru the trap and pull the trap seal with it.
hey, that is what the tell us in MA..

packy,

it's not a fixture drain

it's a washing machine stand pipe

high velocity before entering the trap is DESIRABLE

as the machine stops draining/empties there will be enough of a 'drip' to restore any water seal lost due to kinetic force ~ the proper venting will eliminate siphoning

smiling smiley

Thanks for everyone's thought and discussion.

just informational...I measured what is currently in the basement. It was put in when the house was built about 7 years ago. Once the basement is finished, the laundry room will be in a different location in the basement. I attached an image.

I will also double check what the height of the sink's drain is so I can make sure the plumbing drain height will be correct.

I will also check to see what local codes say just so I know. Thanks!

Thanks for everyone's thought and discussion.

Edited 2 times.

It is how I would do it, and there would be no issues codewise.

quote; waste at 16" above finished floor

supplies at 22" above floor & 8" center to center

If it is a laundry sink, the bottom may only be 18" above the floor, (drain line should be 12" high), and those supply lines would be behind the sink.

quote; washer was to high it might make the washer pump work harder,

Completely irrelevant.

and if to low, could cause water to backflow and overflow.

It would have to be extremely short, and low. Unless the washer were on a pedestal.

quote; too fast thru the trap and pull the trap seal with it.

More to the point that inertia will cause the water to continue down the drain without stopping in the trap. You know, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion".

With a top load washer, the standpipe MUST be higher than the top of the machine, (or at least the high water level), otherwise the water will flow down the drain rather than fill the washer.

Thanks for everyone's input and discussion! smile

Thanks for everyone's input and discussion!

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.