Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Studor vent - using for kitchen sink and dishwasher
Author: Tdeblai (FL)

What do you all think about using a Studor vent for kitchen sink and dishwasher? Anyone have any issues with them?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Studor vent - using for kitchen sink and dishwasher
Author: caja715 (Non-US)

air admittance valves/cheater vents work well, however check your local codes ; up here they are permitted as a last option (always consult local inspector)...inspectors don't like them . IF for your application there is no other choice and an inspector says ok.. keep it accessable.

Author: Local 55 Plumber (OH)

Air admittance valves with the proper stamping (NSF, ASSE, etc.) are legal in every code book I've read. I would recommend you purchase the Oatey Sure-Vent and not the black "in-line" vent that the big box stores sell as well.

Although some inspectors indeed "don't like them" this does not mean he can make you remove it. If he tries, politely ask him to show you the code section you are violating by installing it. By law he has to show you that, if he can, then remove it and ask him how he would like you to do it.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

have local 55 provide you with a copy of massachusetts plumbing code.
they are illegal in massachusetts...
you shouldn't be telling homeowners that something is legal if it is not.

Author: vic (CA)

They are legal in some areas of the country.

Recognize that ALL mechanical vents will eventually fail (it might be 20 years) and so it's always "best" to go with non-mechanical vents. Meaning venting through the roof is far superior to using any brand of mechanical vent.

My own opinion is that I wish that they were illegal except in extremely rare cases/conditions.

Author: hj (AZ)

1. First question would be, How are you connecting the dishwasher that it needs an AAV?
2. AAVs do solve some problems, but also can create other ones.
3. If you are at the stage of installing a dishwasher and sink, is the venting an afterthought?

I'll do you on one better packy. Go to Mass.gov and you can download the following. "Special Permission Plumbing Request Application Form" while your there scroll down to Special Permission Request-Specific Installation Notes. You will see the following.

Air Admittance Valves:
1. Air Admittance Valves are not permitted, EXCEPT:
2. Special permission in compliance with 248 CMR 3.04 has been granted by the Board.
3. An individual vent, branch vent, wet vent, circuit vent, vent stack or stack vent shall be permitted to terminate with a connection to a air admittance valve.
4. Air admittance valves shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturers installation instructions.

I will say this, an AAV cannot and will not ever take the place of running a properly sized vent to outside air. But for you (and others)to come on these forums and just "assume" that "your city, your town, your certain inspector", etc...doesn't allow certain things is wrong.

Where you are 100% accurate is telling people on here to check with their local authority regarding what they require.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

An air admittance valve is a mechanical 'rubber' check valve for air.

The 'rubber' WILL fail eventually - one month or 20 years, who knows, but it WILL fail.

When it fails sewer gas WILL BE ADMITTED into your home.

Best practice (regardless of code) is piping vent to atmosphere.

But, it is your home.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Paul48 (CT)

So...state your opinion, and add the disclaimer to "always check with your local authority before proceeding". No need for a pissing contest.

Florida code, again, where this poster is from.

Section 917 - Air Admittance Valves
917.1 General. Vent systems utilizing air admittance valves SHALL comply with this section. Stack-type air admittance valves SHALL conform to ASSE 1050. Individual and branch-type air admittance valves SHALL conform to ASSE 1051.

Section 917.2 - Installation
The valves SHALL be installed in accordance with the requirements of this section and the manufacturers installation instructions. Air admittance valves SHALL be installed after the DWV testing required by section 312.2 or 312.3 has been performed.

I don't see the section where it says they are illegal.....Please post if found?!

Author: Paul48 (CT)

We don't know whether all counties in Florida follow that code. So, the answer is..."always check with your local authority".

Paul48 is right on. Always check with your local authority.

Author: Tdeblai (FL)

Here is my issue. We are moving our sink from the corner of where exterior wall meets our interior wall to under the window of our exterior wall. Without drilling through the studs of the exterior wall is the only other way to drill through my cabinets? Or use a Studor?

55 plumber... good luck getting special permission from the mass plumbing board.
the only studor vent I know of that has ever received permission was a drinking fountain in the center of a hotel lobby. that took 6 months for approval and a special fee to the state.
in my opinion, I would rather see a drum trap.

Packy is very experienced with Mass's codes and application and governmental bodies and the politics there. Having said that ... I ask that we let this drop regarding Massachusetts as Tdeblai lives in Florida.

We wish to continue to have this Forum stay completely positive and give the best possible advice and as has been stated numerous times .... as far as what is "legal" .... it's always best to check with your local authority in matters like this no matter what "the official" codes for a state or area are.

Thanks all for sharing your experiences.

@vic: I am not questioning packy's experience or knowledge. It is evident that he knows what he is talking about. He is the one that made the blanket statement that AAV's are illegal.

Author: packy
have local 55 provide you with a copy of massachusetts plumbing code.
they are illegal in massachusetts...
you shouldn't be telling homeowners that something is legal if it is not.

That is why I posted Mass's AND Florida's code enforcement regarding this issue, now whether or not they will approve it is something for a different day. But to say they are "illegal" is by Mass's definition not true.

We always use AAV's as a last resort, which is why I posted earlier in this thread that nothing beats running a properly sized vent to outside air. Unfortunately they have their place in our industry now.

This is a great place for the DIY'er or homeowner to get basic as well as advanced plumbing principles and I am in no way looking to "start ****". I just didn't appreciate having my knowledge called into question. More than one way to skin a cat, especially in this business.

Moving on!

Author: caja715 (Non-US)

We just run into code is code, but if the local authority has code or policy that is stronger then that code is followed. Ie- gas test code is 15 psi air for 15 minutes... Ours is 30 psi till inspector gets there so 30 psi for 24 hours. Code says if under 50,000btu don't need to bring combustion air in- but I our city-- if a permit is pulled your bringing combustion air in regardless.. So changing out a furnace to a high efficient 2 pipe furnace in a house that never had combustion air coming in... Well it has to now. - 160 kilometres west it doesn't matter. Cheater vents here- code says fine- but local
Authority has tighter guidelines- always check what your area finds as acceptable solutions- just glad this isn't venting a Reno to an island sink - lol

local 55

i don't mean to start a war either.
this cold weather is getting to me.
i had a freeze-up call yesterday. i thought all that was over. agrrrh...
also, i coach outdoor track and our season starts up in a couple of weeks.
i look forward to getting out on the field with all the kids but not in my overcoat.
stay warm my friend from OH...

quote; . Without drilling through the studs of the exterior wall

I WOULD drill through the studs before I would use an AAV.

Re: local 55

@packy. No harm. no foul. I was looking at some of the Mass's code the other day, ya'll got some wild stuff in there...lol

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

I use them all the time...I recommend the Oatey Sure Vent instead

I try not to use them wherever possible, but if it saves me hours just to run a vent then I use them every time......every new house has them around here...every kitchen is on an island these days and everyone has a AAV

if I had the choice between a loop vent and a AAV id pick the AAV every time...I just removed a loop vent this week...the vent was full of grease....loop vents are very flawed

never had a call back yet from a AAV

quote; the vent was full of grease

In that case it was installed improperly, because grease should NEVER enter the vent portion.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

proper loop vent:

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 2 times.

....a proper loop vent has a cleanout at, or near, the base of the vent through the roof, which isn't shown in the drawing

(edited by Plbg.com)

Edited 1 times.

Author: red423 (FL)

I just read this posting. All I can say is wow!! Here I see where a trained pro answers a question and here comes "I never make a mistake". I flip houses, have been for over thirty years. Buy roughly 6-10 a year and do ok. I finally bought myself a home in LEE COUNTY Fl.. Now for those of you in the know, in the far reaches of eastern Lee County, it is like the wild west, Oh they have permits and inspectors, but a lot of things are overlooked due to the "homeowner/builder" doing what TV says.
My house is red steel with metal stud perimeter walls, plywood sheathing not OSB, with wire lathe and 3/4 stucco coat. Now I came here to see about why the house built in 1990 has a studor in the kitchen and one bathroom. I am not installing them THEY ARE HERE IN AN INSPECTED PROPERTY IN FLORIDA, did anyone here quote how many fixtures can be on a say 2" studor? or how far a vent stack can be from a fixture? Why the inclusion of a studor when the vent stack as built is more than 5 foot away from the fixtures? No, what I see is a guy trying to explain they are legal, but it goes from that to banter over his statements, ok lets all grow up and stop.
I have two studor vents I will be replacing both due to age and fatigue, if I could run a 2" stack, of course I would it only makes better sense, BUT and listen closely, that is not an option here. I would like to know what is the average life of said device, how to spot failure, and since the house was built AS IS, what to look for in the future.
I am sorry to vent, but I came here for answers not to see people arguing over code issues.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.