Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Hook up both propane and electric Water heater (switching bwt them)
Author: cplnorton (OH)

I have a propane water heater right now. I live in the middle of nowhere and have my water heater and furnace on propane. I also have a heat pump on my house that heats the house when it is above 20 degrees outside and an Englander wood furnace tied into my duct work. So right now I usually heat my house with wood when it is under 20 degrees and my heat pump when it is over 20. I only run my propane furnace when it is really cold out.

So I filled my tank last summer when propane was 1.50 a gallon. Right now I need propane and the cheapest is 3.50 a gallon. I need propane within a couple weeks or I am going to run out and have no hot water.

I do not want to fill my tank right now, I want to wait till mid summer when it drops in price. And from now on I only want to fill my tank once a year only when it is cheap.

I have more than enough room in my 200 amp breaker box, so I think I will put in an electric water heater. What I would like to do is be able to have both a propane water heater in case we lose power, and an electric to run most of the time otherwise. It would also be nice to have an extra one I can fire up in tandem when I have house guests come stay with me for extra hot water.

So I want to plumb my electric water heater on top of my already existing propane one. And I would like to put in valves to be able to run either one. I also thought if I'm leaving my propane tank in place, I could use the propane tank as a tempering tank to bring the water to room temperature before it goes into the electric water heater.

I made a drawing of how I'm thinking of plumbing them together. I hope it makes sense, but I want to be able to use valves so I can either run them in tandem, or be able to cut the electric one off altogether and just run the propane one if the power is out.

I have well water on a water softener. I have a generator backup for my well pump, so I do have water if the power is out. The propane furnace was new in 2011 so it's pretty new and it's a Ruud Pacemaker LP series. The electric one I bought is a Whirlpool Energy smart water heater.

I hope my drawing makes sense, what do you guys think?

[i1282.photobucket.com]

Re: Hook up both propane and electric Water heater (switching bwt them)

And also I thought I would add, it's cheaper right now to buy a electric water heater and install it, then it is to fill up my propane tank with the higher prices.

I have a 500 gallon tank, and propane is 2.00 more a gallon than it is usually in July. So if I fill up right now it would cost me a $1000 more than what it would in several months. I bought a electric water heater and all the stuff to install it for $600. So I'm already $400 in the positive by doing this.

Also I did read that I should switch the anode in the propane water heater to the exact same as what's in the Whirlpool water heater I just bought. I read somewhere if they are different, they can hurt each other.

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; I read somewhere if they are different, they can hurt each other.
Reply To This Message

I don't know where you would have read that, but the anode rod only "affects" the heater it is in. Your drawing shows and/or for the electric heater and if that is all you are concerned about, a "three way valve" in place of the tee will accomplish that. Any other configuration and you would need a lot more valves, or a few 3 ways.

Author: Don411 (IN)

Exactly like the water heater bypass set up in my RV, so you can take the WH out of the loop when you pump antifreeze in. Looks good, I would say you only need one valve on the hot output of the propane WH between the pipes going to the electric WH.

Author: packy (MA)

the only gas appliance i have in my house is a propane range.
i paid 5.42 a gallon last november.
your drawing looks to me like it will work fine..

Author: WC (VA)

The OP states he has a well which would indicate he should already have a storage tank which could normally act as a expansion tank.

I have seen other posts concerning the use of a expansion tank on other than well systems. Not being a plumber, and not familiar with code or the actual safety implications of when such tanks are needed I wonder "if" one would be recommenced for this installation.

From the OP diagram it is possible for the electric tank to be isolated from the main plumbing system --- possibly with power on. Will the electric tanks Temp/pressure relief valve be all that is needed -- or from code / experience should a expansion tank be included in this installation?

Author: hj (AZ)

You seem to be answering a question which was not asked, and giving a solution to a problem that does not exist.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.