Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Help with water pressure reducer
Author: nmatcek (TX)

Hello, I'm looking for some info and advice. I am currently trying to reduce my incoming water pressure to my home. The gauge that I threaded onto a hose bib reads 80psi static. I have a pressure reducing valve between my water main valve and my house. No matter how far I turn the adjustment screw in either direction, I cannot get the static pressure to change. Initially I assumed that I had a bad reducer valve. Next, I attached a garden hose to a second water outlet/bib and positioned it so I could see the flow. I turned the hose on and began turning the adjustment screw on the reducer. When the screw was fully backed out, I could clearly see that the flow of water from the hose was almost completely shut off. As I tightened the screw, the water stream slowly got stronger. From this observation it seems reasonable to me to assume that the valve is functioning. However, I cannot understanding why the static pressure will not change. Even with the adjustment setting that causes the hose to trickle when on, the static reading still reads 80. What am I missing? Is this not a true pressure reducer valve? Please help.

Re: Help with water pressure reducer
Author: Fixitangel (NC)

How old is the PRV? They are not usually that hard to rpl. Do you have an expansion tank?

Edited 1 times.

Author: nmatcek (TX)

Pressure reducer valve is 15 years old. No expansion tank. Just seems weird that I can cut the hose to a trickle yet static it reads 80 at that setting.

Author: greyheadedguy (AZ)

If you are trying to read the static pressure after/while adjusting the pressure regulator w/o any water running you are still measuring the static pressure that has not change and cannot change w/o some means of bleeding of pressure.

Next time you try this have some water running so when you adjust the pressure regulator you should be able to see a change. If no change happens then your pressure regulator valve is likely shot and needs to be replaced. (I just had a thought, your pressure regulator may be installed backwards renduring it useless. Do the flow arrows point the right way) Make sure the new one has a built in union on it for easier installation and service.

The decrease in flow would either be a major reduction in pressure (which most don't have that much range) or restriction in flow, which will reduce pressure but not the way you want to.

What are the ratings on the regulator?
What is the operating pressure limit (typically like 300 psi)
What is the adjustable working pressures of your regulator? (Typically 25 osi - 75 psi) I remember something about there need to be a threshold of pressure change for the valve to work right. If incoming pressure is 80 psi, setting house pressure to 70 psi might be diffacult. Seems the difference has to be like minimum of 25 psi difference to work properly, but that is old knowledge and technnology may have over come this.

Gook luck,

grey

Author: hj (AZ)

What is your problem. I usually set my PRVs at 75 to 80 psi. You CANNOT have that small flow and still maintain 80 psi dynamic pressure. And if the pressure is adjusted so you get very little flow, but then turn the faucet off, the pressure will return to its original setting if the valve is defective, which yours seems to be.

Author: caja715 (Non-US)

max pressure up north is 80psi. city pressure is usually 48-60 psi.. think prv needs changed , and wow you guys get good pressure down south

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; wow you guys get good pressure down south

Maybe we have better pumps, or our pipes will hold higher pressures.

Author: jlapp2geg (IN)

I don't think the gentlemen ever got an answer to his "static" water pressure question of which I have the same issue. The question is quite simple, should a pressure regulator reduce STATIC pressure (non-moving water in this case)? If I have 2 gauges 1 pre regulator and 1 post regulator and I stop my water flow, will the post regulator show a reduced pressure or will water pressure equalize when stopping water flow resulting in both gauges reading the same. My goal is to reduce static pressure on the post side (exit side) of the regulator.

Thanks

Edited 1 times.

Author: backroader (MN)

Found this old post and am wondering if anyone ever came up with an answer. I'm having the same problem. When I adjust the PRV the pressure doesn't change but the flow does. Maybe the static pressure in the system shouldn't change?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.