Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Cartridge and valve body problems
Author: Jtnogo (MI)

Hello-
New to forum. Help appreciated! An individual came out to finish my basement and installed a valve body in my new shower and did the tile work. However, he vanished before completing the job and did not install any hardware. I recently bought a Delta Celice hardware kit to do it myself. It includes the valve body, cartridge, trim, etc. Being that I'd rather NOT tear out the old valve body and install the new one myself (it's very tight in between the stringer back plate and the cement board), I figured I'd try to put the cartridge in the installed valve body. It fits and virtually looks the same except for a different marking on the top (U87 vs the U101 that came with the set). Regardless, it does not work. I tried flipping it 180 degrees, changing the rotational limit stop, etc. you name it, I tried it. When fully installed, it will not feed the shower line any water. There's pressure though to the valve. Any thoughts? Is it that I just have to install the valve body that comes with it?

Re: Cartridge and valve body problems
Author: hj (AZ)

quote; Is it that I just have to install the valve body that comes with it?

No, you have to find out why the water is not flowing to the shower outlet, since that is NOT a usual problem.

Author: Jtnogo (MI)

To clarify, if I insert the bottom half of the cartridge and turn on the water supply, it flows. Hot and cold piping is functional. It stops if I put the whole cartridge in. It's either the top half or something obstructing the top hole in the cylinder that runs to the shower pipe

Author: hj (AZ)

Why are you separating the top and bottom of the cartridge? The bottom is just a balancing device, (and I don't know how you would be able to insert it by itself, anyway). The top is a fairly simple slide valve assembly, so I cannot see how it could prevent ALL flow either. However, if either the hot or cold supplies are turned off while the valve is assembled the balancing unit WILL prevent all flow.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.