Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Cutting plastic pipe straight?
Author: x apprentice 22 (MA)

What the best way to cut plastic pipe straight using a plastic pipe saw? 1 1/2 and 2inch pipe cut ok and larger sizes are harder to cut square. I have a chop saw and a hand saw miter box but 4inch pipe is too big to use them.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Cutting plastic pipe straight?
Author: phillyplbg (PA)

work that saw, dont let it run on you, try practicing by making a mark all the way around the pipe and follow it by alternating the front of the saw to the heel of the saw. Glad you are learning by cutting by hand and not jumping into power tools

Author: x apprentice 22 (MA)

I don t mind using power tools but there are some jobs that power tools cant be used on.

Author: packy (MA)

i mostly use a chop saw. but if i'm only making a few cuts, the battery sawzall with a GOOD metal cutting blade will give you very decent cuts. not perfect but close enough.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

there is a marking tool called a 'pipe wrap' or 'wrap-a-pipe'

basically a perfectly 'square' strip of 'linoleum' you wrap around the pipe and mark it square

a belt in good shape may also work

you can then cut around the pipe as square as your saw can follow the line/mark

[www.hisltd.co.uk] (for info)

haven't personally used one since I 'travelled' as a fitter

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Plumbum (Canada)

My beloved Dad was a carpenter by trade

He taught me, when using a saw, look over it and see both sides of the blade

Go slow No rush

My Experience

gl

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; but there are some jobs that power tools cant be used on

Such as? Almost every "hand tool" has a power version that works as good, just faster.

Author: Plumberpalmer (MA)

I have used sand cloth as a pipe wrap several times when I don't have one with me.

The old guy said something else

It has helped me along the way

He said....

If you finish a job in half the time
That means...You have time to do it again

And you usually do

smiling smiley

Author: asktom (MT)

The old guy I knew used to say

"I am always willing to spend half an hour to figure out how to do a one hour job in fifteen minutes."

That is another way of saying, "Don't do anything until you know what you want, or have, to do".

Nice one asktom!

Just time management

smile

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

on large jobs I use a chop saw

on small jobs I use a hack saw and end up twisting it to attempt to get a clean cut..like a coping saw

if you want perfect a chop saw is your only choice

I normally use a SawZall along with a "good" eye to get a square cut. Have never used a chop saw, and my cutter is getting 'tight' from lack of use.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.