Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Braided Hookup Code Legal for In Wall?
Author: cakins (MO)

Just wanted to double check some info I got from a pro plumbing supply house in town - not a big box store. They told me that the braided connector seen below is code legal for an in-wall installation. I couldn't believe that, really. I'm not a plumber, but have learned a bunch via this forum, and that just didn't sound right.

I was going to use PEX to make up the connection between the two individual valves we're installing to replace a vintage, 11" on center, tub faucet. The salesman suggested this instead and said he would trust it over PEX any day. Having had a braided connection spontaneously fail under our kitchen sink a few months ago, I don't share the same feeling, and of course the decision on what to use is mine. But I really wanted to find out if using a connection like this is even code-legal.

There is an access panel behind the tub, if that makes a difference. The access, however is in the back of an attic closet on the 2nd floor.

As always, thanks for the great insight and thoughts I always get on this forum! smile

Re: Braided Hookup Code Legal for In Wall?
Author: m & m (MD)

You are right, I believe that the braided supplies have a tag with disclaimer stating not to install in inaccessible areas. Go with the PEX.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

it may, or may not, be 'code compliant'

to use it in a concealed location, imo, would be bordering on insanity

the 'stainless steel' is merely an external braid over a vinyl tube ~ the seal on the ends is merely a rubber washer/gasket ~ these connectors have a 10 year maximum life and should be replaced regularly

this is just plain common sense

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: cakins (MO)

That's pretty much what I thought. Hence my surprise to hear it coming from a salesman at a supply house for real plumbers.

keyword being: salesman

smiling smiley

Author: hj (AZ)

Why aren't you connecting them together with brass nipples? That is how I made my 11" valves back in the old days. Of course, now I buy California Brass 11" valves.

Not a concealed space?
Author: steve (CA)

If there is an access panel, I don't think it's a concealed space. When you install the hoses in a kitchen sink cabinet, they're not considered to be in a concealed space. The pump and heater of a whirlpool tub can be located behind a tub access panel. Those hoses wouldn't be my first choice for connecting the valves, but I don't think it's against code.

Re: Not a concealed space?

code or not is not the point

'best practice' IS

or even 'good practice'

'under the sink' is routinely accessed and therefor visible

the access panel of a 'roman tub' ?

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; the access panel of a 'roman tub' ?

Is that a guess or intuition, because I did not see anything about a "Roman tub", just a "vintage tub" with a 3 valve wall faucet, which would usually NOT be a Roman tub.

There is an access panel behind the tub, if that makes a difference. The access, however is in the back of an attic closet on the 2nd floor.

I used 'roman tub' as an example / question to show that an access panel is a far cry from an often accessed and therefor visible cabinet under a sink.

hj, nice try at busting them though

smiling smiley

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.