Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 A puzzle - trying to figure out what they were thinking
Author: sum (FL)

Now I understand there is no way to be sure, but I have this interesting property I am looking at that has a strange bathroom.

Some of the fixtures are gone, leaving a mystery behind this currently bank owned property.

So here is a picture from the hallway looking at the bathroom. As you can see, it has a ceiling fan mounted on the ceiling. As you enter to the left is WALL "B", and to the right is WALL "A".

Strange that the big windows you can see from outside in. Anyone going upstairs are looking into this master bathroom.

On WALL "A", there is a toilet recessed into a nitch. What is really strange is there is a studor vent and a p-trap on the wall, I guess there used to be a sink?

See the 1/2" copper stubout at the bottom of the wall? There is a floor drain near it. I wonder, is this floor drain a real floor drain? Or this used to be a toilet drain and someone made it into a floor drain without a trap? Possible?

On the other side, WALL "B", there is another toilet, and a pedestal sink. Strange they put a washing machine there. No dryer.

So there are two toilets in this bathroom. His and her's?

Then at the far corner of WALL "B" is this shower tub system. Can't see any brand name on it.

Anyone familiar with this? Is this a high end functional system or some fancy junk?

Any thought as to what the original plan might have been?

His sink/toilet one side, her sink/toilet the other side?

Was the floor drain a floor drain, why would there be a 1/2" supply near the floor? Sure looks like a toilet supply to me.

Think they do laundry while on the throne?

Re: A puzzle - trying to figure out what they were thinking
Author: hj (AZ)

Does the tub sit directly on the floor. I once saw something similar, but it was a "portable" unit that was on legs. The drain was a hose that hung into a drain in the floor. They wanted a washer near the point of use. That water line might be for a "steam" dryer if there is any power source near it. I guess you haven't seen the bathroom in NYC that is all glass right on the front of the building.

Author: SwimRunPlumb (MI)

Funny, just yesterday I actually looked at a bathtub and shower that were just like this, although they were separate. The homeowner apparently bought them online and wanted a quote to install them in a bedroom they were converting to a bathroom. Both the shower and tub were just as hj mentions, with a hose coming off the bottom for the drain that needs to attach to something, not sure what or how? The tub was movable with adjustable legs. They had the hardwood floors completely refinished and the room was already painted. This was all before ANY rough in plumbing was even started. Ha

I told them thank you for allowing me to come out, but I think I am going to pass on this job.

Edited 1 times.

The one I was on, the drain had an elbow that hung into an open drain in the floor. The water lines connect with hoses.

Edited 1 times.

I didn't see any hoses or drains on the back side.

I just assumed since it's really just a roman tub stand alone with a bunch of gadgets stacking over it. No idea how it's connected.

Water is off, electric is off, so nothing can be tested.

Author: vic (CA)

"Who puts a washing machine next to a toilet?"

Europeans.

I've been in a number of bathrooms in Europe where the laundry machine (both washer and dryer all in one) is located in the bathroom. One of my relatives in Holland (the Netherlands where I was born) has one in their bathroom. I could be wrong but I'm guessing that not only a washer but also a dryer.... all in one.

That fancy tub/shower unit could either be a piece of junk (plenty of them available on the Net) or top quality. Without knowing the brand it's hard to say.

Author: hi (TX)

The tub is a 40k bucks model outfitted with leds etc a real delux spa model.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

The His and Hers toilets I understand. Ditto the washer beside the toilet. No problem.
What's up with the multi-jet mini car wash in the bathroom? Can you drive a Cooper Mini in there? thinking

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

the house better have one big water heater to keep that going..

Author: vic (CA)

"The tub is a 40k bucks model outfitted with leds etc a real delux spa model."

If so, what brand and model is it?

Author: m & m (MD)

I had a h/o call me years ago to finish hooking up one of these things; someone else got 90% thru and thats where I came in. I passed. If it is really 40K, I think it's overpriced by 39.5K.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

.................and the beat goes on....................

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

There should be a tag on it, but I do not remember who made the one I saw in the customer's house.

Author: Local 55 Plumber (OH)

As for the floor drain, pull the strainer off and look inside to see if it's holding water, if there is no water in it pour a bucket full in to see if holds water (trap could have dried up). Where is the water heater/furnace in relation to that 1/2" stub-out? It could be the T&P off the tank or a condensate from the furnace?

Author: tnjessen (FL)

Im sorry to reply to this post but I didn't know how else to reach out to you (Sum) in FL. I just registered after reading several posts by you about a job "tunneling under slab". I read that your city required an engineer for the backfill. What city are you in? We had a sewer repipe done but our city didn't require anything as it pertained to the tunneling and removal of several truckloads of sand/fill. I thought this would have been a state code but I'm being told there is no state code for this. Do you know what the code is that required you to get an engineer? At least if I know what city you are in I can call the BO.

Thanks in advance!

Are you worried about NOT spending enough money for the job?

tnjessen, the property is in Dania Beach, FL.

Having said that, I would suggest not going through the trouble the way the city wanted it done. Which was a total waste of time, money and common sense.

The idea is you had a tunnel dug under your house to reach the point of repair. My city required that you start the tunnel from the cleanout location where the pipe exits, instead of the nearest point to the trouble spot. In my case I had the camera determined the location, and it's 21 feet from where the line exits and only 5' from a side wall. Granted, certain issues can't be fixed just by getting to the trouble spot, such as a belly in the line etc...

There is I believe guidelines that says you need to backfill the soil to the same compactness. However, different cities implements it differently. Some rely on the contractor to restore the compactness, some have their own validation and inspection procedures.

Note that a lot also depends on your foundation, footings? Piles?

Now what happened in my case, they sent a truck out that is basically a giant Hoover machine, the super took a sample of the soil before they dug - they then manually dug a hole by the exit point, a 4'x4' hole, 4' deep. The sample was taken at the surface of the hole by some SUB. Once they had the hole dug, they manually dug sideways for another couple of feet, then the Hoover truck has a jet they had one guy shooting water into it, the sand and soil turned into soupy sludges and the machine has a 8" flex hose and it was just sucking all that up. That's how they did the tunneling.

Once the tunnel was dug, the problem exposed, the repair made.

Now the inspector from the city came out to see the repair. The inspector did NOT go inside the tunnel, he stood on the ground and examined pictures of what the contractor took, and checked, checked, checked.

Next they have to get the tunnel backfilled. We can't because we were still waiting for the compaction analysis result of the original soil. The hole and tunnel sat for over a week before that big truck came and basically shot wet sand back into the hole. Eventually the wet sand filled the tunnel. The truck left. The crew than took the pile of dirt from the 4'x4'x4' access hole, push them back into the hole, jumped up and down and compacted the soil, and left.

A few days later, the SUB came and took a sample of the soil, at the surface, where the men dug the initial hole, where they pushed the dirt back into the hole.

Apparently they go through some complicated tests by some complicated equipment. It was an expensive process and the contractor had to hire it out. I think I paid $15000 for the whole tunnel job of which several thousands was for this soil compaction validation.

To me it means absolutely NOTHING. There was nothing tested to ensure the actual fill and back fill INSIDE THE TUNNEL was the same compaction. That's what mattered.

The access hole, was backfilled manually, had zero bearing on how well the structure is supported after the excavation and backfill. The whole process was a joke. The contractor knew it, but said that's what the city wanted.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.