Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 AC pipe
Author: caja715 (Non-US)

just wondering if anyone has dealt with AC pipe. what precautions in a confined space are taken. Ran into it , need to remove it...cuts have to happen. It is in a crawl space and I am trying to figure out if an abatement crew needs to come in. Or if full face shield with particulate filters and lots of water will suffice.

Re: AC pipe
Author: packy (MA)

not sure what you are asking?
do you have a copper tube with freon in it that has to be removed and abandoned?

Author: hj (AZ)

If you are going to abandon it, just hit it with a hammer, to avoid dust.

Edited 1 times.

Author: PlumerDan (CA)

in the past i,ve used at chain snapper if there was room. otherewise i used just what you suggesed.keep it wet.depending on how much it may have to be abbated.what are you doing with the the waste?

Author: Don411 (IN)

Sounds like he is referring to asbestos-cement pipe. I found this documentfrom the state of OR:

[www.deq.state.or.us]

You should check with your local municipality to see what regulations if any are in place. In general, you want to use water to keep the asbestos dust from becoming airborne and dispose of remains properly.

Edited 1 times.

Author: caja715 (Non-US)

thanks for the read on removal and handling. Plan is set up to go in and keep it soaked while cutting, Full face shield with particulate filters. Pipe is in a crawlspace, so just going to cut it out and leave it where it lays. Unless you can suggest something else.?

Author: packy (MA)

sorry about the misunderstanding of your post..
yeah, wet it down and keep it wet while working on it. i too would leave it in the crawl space.
when i worked at the navy yard (60's) we were around asbestos sometimes. they used to send us to the cafeteria to get an ice cream cone. the ice cream washed the asbestos dust out of out insides. true story..
during the cold weather, we used to make beds in the asbestos to sleep in on the night shift.
i'm still around almost 50 years later..

Author: Paul48 (CT)

packy.....See...the icecream worked!Wow...How times have changed.We tore that stuff out of houses during remodels and never wore any protection either. Maybe the hops or barley worked, for us, instead of icecream. A few years ago, a pipe burst in a parking garage in New York city. They cordoned it off and kept everyones cars while they cleaned it for a few days. I wonder if they charged them for parking all that time. confused smiley

Author: hj (AZ)

see, if you hadn't eaten so much ice cream, otherwise you might be eligible for some of that "35 billion dollars and you don't have to file a lawsuit" settlement, (although the lawyers would probably get most of it).

Author: bernabeu (SC)

asbestos AND smoking COMBINED are/were the killers

asbestos exposure = 10X risk
smoking = 10X risk

both = 1000X risk

the exposure is not causative, merely increases the risk factor

however, the disease is HORRIBLE and an unnecessary risk

the smoking acts as a catalyst

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Paul48 (CT)

With smoking on the decline here, I wonder what else they could come up with to blame the cancer on? Don't get me wrong, smoking causes all sorts of serious health issues, without a doubt. We may have to wait until they find the cure to understand whether it causes cancer. There's no money in that though. As a society, we could not afford to have the average life expectancy increase 15 or 20 years over night. We have the ability to find the cure rapidly...look what was done during WWII with the Manhattan Project.

Author: WC (VA)

I read a article posted by Huff Post Tyler McCarthy on 02/18/2014 titled "Birth Defects in Rural Washington Stuns Experts". It stated that Doctors were "baffled" by a cluster of unusual birth defects (anencephaly) in the Washington State Counties of YAKIMA, BENTON, and FRANKLIN.

Just a little research will reveal that HANFORD just "happens" to be located on the Columbia River IN Benton County with Yakima and Franklin Counties on EITHER side.

"IF" anyone were to check (google) the Wikipedia page for "Hanford" they may would no longer be "baffled" by any health problems that area.

Oh well -- just sweep it under the rug.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

I used to have a 'limited handler' asbestos cert (means I could do piping in a containment area, not actually handle asbestos)

had to take a class on asbestos

forgot all the techno-jumbo

BUT

I do remember the microphotographs of the BAD type (don't remember it's name)

the fibers look like CORKSCREWS

after inhalation or ingestion they actually screw themselves into tissue due to the movement of the body or intestines (if swallowed) ~ really really nasty to see or imagine

now for MY opinion:

of the 4 types of asbestos THAT was the REALLY dangerous type

it did it's damage primarily via IRRITATION and opening little holes

if you also smoked !!!???

remember when you were a kid and your friend put the little caterpillar looking grass head up your sleeve and the harder you squirmed the more it climbed and tickled?

imagine MILLIONS of microscopic rock hard corkscrews either swallowed or inhaled

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.