Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Whining Pipes
Author: mwr (IN)

I have a low level hum/whine coming from my copper pipes at times. It stops when I turn off a tap. Ive tried to pinpoint noise thinking it was coming from checkvalve at the main, toilet, water softner, studor vent etc.... nothing, it just kinda everywhere if that makes sense.

Pressure from city is spot on 60 psi.

Whats likely happening here?

Re: Whining Pipes
Author: hj (AZ)

The most common sources are a pressure reducing valve, or a water softener, but we do not know if you have either. Heat traps in the water heater could cause it if it only happens when you use hot water.

I have a softner but I do not hear the noise in proximity to the unit. The softner is a new installation, however the whine was here prior to that with an old softener in place.

Author: YourPlumbingSolutions (CA)

Its your Pressure regulator. It is located next to your main shut off valve for the house.

Don't have pressure regulators here. Only thing at main is a check valve...

Author: sozoal (CA)

Turn off toilets
And check again, possibly fill
Valve/s or loose washers on angle stop, or vacuum breaker on hose Bibb

Author: sharp1 (IL)

Our town has used a meter yoke for many years that has a built-in check valve. About 12 years ago during a water quality issue, large amounts of different chlorine compounds were used. This caused many rubber parts to swell and fail. The check valve rubber washer became wavy and caused a loud humming noise throughout the homes anytime water was turned at any faucet or a stool was refilling, even though the meters were in a pit as much as 50 feet or more from the home, Replacing the washer stopped the noise, and it never failed again.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.