Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water Leak Laws in Texas?
Author: kingplinker (TX)

If anyone has information on water leak help or laws in Texas I am all ears. I have a family of 4, no garden watering, no pools, nothing crazy and my water bill normally runs about $250 a month. My last bill was 70,000 gallons and about $1600, and my reading as of last Friday was 222,000 gallons! That bil is going to be tripple!

I have have a few bad leaks, but have fixed them immediately after locating them. One issue is my water line runs from street under neighbors 50 acres to my back yard - so when I suspect a leak I have to ask permission from neighbor to go walk the line and see if I see one.

I was just wondering if there are any laws or advice I could look in to to maybe help me work out a payment plan or relief for these high bills...

drowning in water debt here.... T.

Re: Water Leak Laws in Texas?
Author: hj (AZ)

Walking along the line may NOT show you where a leak is. They usually drain down into the ground until they get so bad that they force their way up to the surface. If you are not 'using' the water, then you need to have a plumber check the system and find out WHERE it is going.

Author: kingplinker (TX)

Ok thanks, will do!

Author: bernabeu (SC)

you ABSOLUTELY need the meter on YOUR property

? not saying, but, perhaps the line was tapped after the meter ?

? how would you know ?

get a licensed QUALIFIED bonded insured plumber ASAP

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: dlh (TX)

and that is one of the reasons your line should be either on your property or in an easement.

HJ, I don't know about this posters area but in the area of north Texas I am in a leak can show up very quickly because of all the cracks in the soil. It contracts and expands so much and we have been fairly dry for years that it often has fissures for the water to follow to the surface. We call it black gumbo around here, sticky as all get out when moist.

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

In this area, the water lines are often near the sewer lines so that trench becomes a ready conduit for leaking water long before it ever appears on the surface.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

quote: get a licensed QUALIFIED bonded insured plumber ASAP"

Ditto and ditto. Once the plumber finds and corrects the problem, you can present that information to the water authority and politely plead for rectification of the bill.

That will give you the best ammo. They don't need you to call and complain about the bill or say that you've been poking around in the dirt and can't find nothing, or you had uncle billy bob to come over and wrap some tape on a leaky pipe. That won't fly too good. smiling smiley

quote; ou can present that information to the water authority and politely plead for rectification of the bill.

Well, that and $4.95 will get you a cup of coffee. In most cases their attitude is the you USED the water for "something" because it went through your meter and they had to furnish it, so pay the bill.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

correct, but they 'generally' will issue a credit for the sewerage use as a leak into the ground did not cause any use of their sewage treatment plant

in my neck of the woods the sewer is about 40% of the bill

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

You are assuming a municipal employee, or bureaucrat, actually as some common sense?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.