Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 gas water heaters making thumping noises
Author: Thomas (MS)

Hello, during the days that followed a ruptured water pipe in the attic of my home, I began turning the water off at the main inside valve in my master bathroom closet then opening all the faucets (inside and outside) whenever the cold returned and dropped down into the teens and 20's.
When I would do this, both water heaters in my home would make loud thumping sounds for 5-10 minutes.
The water heater that supplies hot water for the first floor is in the second story attic and the water heater that supplies hot water for the second floor is in the third story attic. The house was built in 2006.

Question: is this noise a sign of trouble? Should I set both gas water heaters to "Vacation" before turning off the water and opening the faucets?

Thanks in advance, Thomas

Re: gas water heaters making thumping noises
Author: bernabeu (SC)

no, you should turn the gas off

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

You are creating a "vacuum" in the tanks, when you open the faucets, because they are the high points in the system. It is possible, when you open both the hot and cold, to siphon the water out of the tank, if the small "anti siphon" hole in the dip tube gets plugged, but you will siphon the water out until the hole is able to "suck air" and stop the siphonage.

Thanks bernabeu - what's the recommended procedure when I go on vacation or go out on a work project for a week or two? I've been told turning off the water, opening the faucets and setting the water heaters to "Vacation" is the right thing to do but I'm always looking for a better answer.

Thanks also hj - will this vacuum thumping cause damage to my water heaters or is it mostly an annoyance?

Author: hj (AZ)

It will cause damage to the heater if all the water is siphoned out of it, and the burner turns on.

hj - from what I can tell, the pilot light stays lit but the burner never turns on when the water heater is set to "Vacation" - does that sound right?

Edited 1 times.

Two questions for the gurus -

1. What's the recommended procedure when a person leaves home for a week or two? Is turning off the water, opening all the faucets and setting the water heater to "Vacation" the right thing to do?

2. Will a gas water heater's burner turn on when the water heater is set to "Vacation"?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.