Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 water hammer arestor on galvanized pipe
Author: mwr (IN)

I was doing some drywall repair and pulled an old galvanzized pipe out of the wall, it was cut on both ends.

Im 99.9 percent positive it was a water pipe but what looked different to me was that there was a tee...the horizontal joint probably went into a cabinet for the cold supply. The vertical joint above that had another 6 or 8" and then it was capped. Looks like of like a drip leg on a water heater but only inverted 180 degrees.

Im guessing this was like a hammer arrester. Would a plumber made for such a provision 60 years ago?

Re: water hammer arestor on galvanized pipe
Author: bernabeu (SC)

yes

it was found they were virtually useless - they quickly became 'waterlogged' and did NOT empty when building was drained

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

Yes he would have, but a better plumber would have made it at least 12", and preferably 18", long.

hj,

like this one?

smiling smiley

Exactly, in fact I sometimes did use a 3/4x1/2x1/2 tee with a 3/4" air chamber on top.

Similar idea but in my case the line and the air chamber were 1/2" and there was no valves involved. It did come off a tee like its shown in picture though.

Thanks for posting.

Edited 1 times.

In that photo, why the extra valve for the air chamber?

Author: packy (MA)

if the valve has a drain button on it, you could shut the valve, open the drain button and loosen the cap periodically to 'recharge' the chamber.

So they could remove it and drain the water out without turning the water off in the building.

quote; you could shut the valve, open the drain button and loosen the cap periodically

The only way to drain it through that small port, would be to introduce air into the top of the air chamber by removing the cap. Loosening it would not work because the thread would need new sealant of some kind which could not be done if it were just loosened. Removing the chamber would be the same amount of work, but less time for the draining.

Edited 1 times.

hj,

how about a stop and waste for the bottom and a small petcock tapped into the cap ? !!!!!!!

smiling smiley

Author: packy (MA)

stop and waste at the bottom and a valve at the top.

A petcock screwed into a reducer would be a better idea.

where can I get a 2 x 1/4 coupling ?

once upon a time in a land far far away ..................................

I cannot find the photo, but my memory thinks it was a 1" air chamber, not 2". 2x21/2" and a bushing or 1/2" hose bibb.

I was being facetious

however

our sponsor sell a 2x1/2 galv. reducer coupling !!

close enough

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.