Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 toilet blues
Author: perplexed (PA)

I have an old toilet. the tank is hung on the wall independently of the bowl. the tank is connected to the bowl by an L-shaped pipe -- about 2 and 1/4 inch in diameter and i suppose about ten inches in length. The pipe links the bottom of the tank to the rear of the bowl. Obvioiusly, it is this pipe that carries the water that flushes the bowl. toilet has worked great until a couple of weeks ago it developed a leak at the back of the bowl where there is a gasket. the gasket does appear to be in bad shape. i asked a plumber if he could replace the gaskets -- one at the rear of the bowl and the other at the bottom of the tank. He said the parts were no longer available at that this design is difficult to work with. Leaks are commonplace. he advised replacing the entire toilet. i found that to be difficult advice to accept. are the parts for this toilet design still available? would it be that difficult to replace the gaskets and the connecting pipe? thanks.

Re: toilet blues
Author: Wheelchair (IL)

I personally believe the High Tank Gaskets are still available as they are Tank Spud Gaskets. I don't have a reference in front of me, but I know they are still available. I love those high tanks as they have re-appears in some new houses these days.

Best Wishes

Author: bernabeu (SC)

try: [www.sinkfactory.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

where do people find such dishonest plumbers??
those parts are readily available.
[www.google.com]
[www.google.com]
i would advise you to find a two piece flush elbow. it will save you having to remove the tank from the wall to install it.

Author: perplexed (PA)

thanks very much. very helpful advice.

Author: hj (AZ)

It is NOT a "high tank", but rather a low wall mounted tank connected to the toilet with a 2" flush ell. The closet spud is readily available, as is the flush ell, but since the ells come in various lengths you have to measure both sides and then get one the same size or longer. If it is longer, you will have to cut it to size. Replace the whole closet spud on the rear of the bowl, not just the rubber gasket even though the gaskets are available separately. I, and most "old time" plumbers would NOT have a problem repairing your toilet, however, YOU may tear your hair out, and also say some nasty things about its ancestors, before you get done.

quote; where do people find such dishonest plumbers??

Because the find guys who do not want to take on difficult jobs. I have never had to use a 2-piece flush ell OR remove the tank from the wall to replace the flush ell.

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

0 chance id repair this toilet also...why keep a 80 year old toilet?

yes its a more difficult job....but if they have no experience with it it will cost more to repair than replace.....a repair also has a decent chance of a future call back on this one...while a replace has almost 0 chance of one

its 60+ years overdue for replacement....I wouldn't know where to get the parts either....if the homeowner wanted them id have to charge so much for the research that it would be cheaper to replace the whole thing

its probably a 14"-16" rough...that's the bad part

I think repairing it is bad advice.......at some point its foolish to try to keep an old fixture going....and this type of toilet is way past that point.....

Edited 2 times.

quote; .I wouldn't know where to get the parts either....if the homeowner wanted them id have to charge so much for the research

I guess that means you are a "young plumber", because any one who has been in the plumbing service business for any period of time WOULD know what he needs and where to get them, if they do not have them on his truck already, (which I did have until a couple of years ago when I downsized the truck).

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

As Henry Ford once said. "I may not be the smartest person in business, but I know where to go for the right answers."

Plumbing can be just as trying.... if one doesn't know where to go for the right answers.....
Plbg.com, is a good start!

Best Wishes

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

hj, only you would call going from an F450 to a F350 downsizing.
it's like downsizing from a battleship to a destroyer.

The 350 is also history, now I have downsized further.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

Packy; HJ has been downsizing ever since he sold his '54 Lincoln.

Mine was a "gloss" black convertible with yellow and black interior. And, yes, it was a beautiful car.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.