Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Frozen Vent Stack runs horizontally in attic
Author: TuckerWeed10 (Non-US)

I have read many articles on frozen vent stacks and the most recommended fix is to try and insulate the pipe as it travels through the attic. When I went into the attic with insulation and plan, I found the vent stack comes from the roof to the top of the ceiling joists and runs horizontally in different directions above the insulation. Is this allowed by code? Is there any sense insulating the vertical rise since most of the pipe runs horizontally all through the cold space anyway. The main trunk is 3" PVC but it also branches off with 1.5" PVC taps. It does not appear to have any fall to it, if it does it is very slight.
Every winter my pipe freezes up and gases enter the home through the basement toilet and I really want to fix this properly once and for all.

Re: Frozen Vent Stack runs horizontally in attic
Author: packy (MA)

can you tell exactly where it is freezing?
is it the vertical section just as it exits the roof or do the smaller branches freeze as well?

Author: TuckerWeed10 (Non-US)

unfortunately I do not know. My roof is very steep and two storey and covered with snow so I can't get up top. I tried a lazer temp meter from inside but it red 22F at various spots and I tried tapping it and I could not tell where it was solid vs hollow. It is about 20F outside so relatively the same as the attic space.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

should be 4" vertical pipe through roof to avoid the end of pipe becoming snow/ice bound

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

as suggested by my friend fron SC, increase the size of the vent thru the roof to 4 inch.
try to get at least a foot or two below the roof with the inverted reducing coupling.
this of course will mean changing the roof flange and possibly a roof shingle or two.
in the interim, you may be able to cut a couple tees into the smaller horizontal vent lines and install studor vents that would allow air into the vent system if and when the stack gets frozen over. this will keep the system from getting airbound and allow the toilet to flush.

Author: caja715 (Non-US)

I believe it will be 4 inch already... is the toilet your having issues with in a way different location than the other toilets in your house?? houw many vent penetrations do you have in your roof? my line of thought is: withought seeing it , I would believe is is vents by a 3" stack vent upsized to 4 at roof, and unless it is the only fixture on that vent, would ask do your showers tubs etc still drain?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.