Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Pegasus shower cartridge
Author: mar2005 (TX)

We bought a house with a Pegasus shower cartridge and a stem which seems to be stripped. So the shower knob just spins/slips without turning on the water. I've looked at home depot and a plumbing specialty store but had no luck in finding a replacement cartridge. And when I called an 800 number they said they couldn't help without a model #. Do I need to replace the valve body, cartridge, and handle now? To replace the valve body it seems like I'd have to remove some tile for access (a lot of trouble for a worn stem). Any input appreciated.

Re: Pegasus shower cartridge
Author: packy (MA)

how do you know it is the stem that is stripped and not the handle?
can you just go to home depot and buy another complete valve, use whatever parts you need to fix yours and return the leftovers for a full credit.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Pegasus is a low quality product to begin with. I would replace it if possible. Can you gain access from the opposite side of the wall ?

Author: hj (AZ)

Do an Internet search for "pegasus faucets" and then follow the links to find your model number.

Author: mar2005 (TX)

I know it's the stem bc I tried another brand cartridge with similar size stem, which fit the handle snugly, but the back end didn't fit in the valve body correctly.

I was going to do a complete replacement until I realized it would require pulling out tile to remove the existing valve body (no other access into the wall). Unless I'm mistaken, the valve body that is currently in place will not be compatible with a moen, delta or some other brand. Having said that, I'm a complete novice so I'm looking for guidance . . . Can I try another brand cartridge , are they at all interchangeable? To respond about checking online for the model # , I tried that and can't seem to find a definite match. The Home Depot guy said a lot of the Pegasus models are discontinued after a year or two and getting replacement part is impossible. Do I need a pro here for what seemed like it should've been a simple fix? Thnks guys

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

there are no universal replacement parts for a pegasus faucet. it must be a pegasus part.
you might find something here...
[arpny.com]

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

Pegasus is the cheapest brand available

you can replace the parts, but you will find constant issues in the future....id open the wall behind the tub and replace the valve with a Moen/Delta/Kohler

Author: DrMIcro (FL)

I have a Pegasus Bamboo Single-Handle 3-Spray Tub and Shower Faucet in Brushed Nickel setup. It's approx 7 years old. I developed a leak from the cartridge. I called their '877' number and they are sending me a new cartridge at no charge because the unit has a limited lifetime warranty. This is the first time I've had any problem with it. Also it was very easy to remove. Simply remove the faceplate and the whole unit slides right out with minimal effort.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.