Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 problem connecting old tub faucet to cpvc
Author: timO (VA)

Hi:

The old pipes were cast iron.
The tub is one of those with claw feet, and the spigot is what I think they call a pignose.

The old setup was the straight brass pipes from the faucet extend straight down, and they slipped inside the cast iron hot and cold pipes a few inches. There were compression nuts which threaded onto the cast iron pipes, and there was string packed under the nuts. There was no bead on the pipe, it was all ablout the string and plumbers' putty.

So transitioning from the new 1/2" cpvc to the tub inlet pipes is a problem. The O.D of the faucet pipes is about .56"

That end of the tub is against the wall and there is limited room to work. Thusfar the fittings I've tried are too large or too small. The 53034LF is way too big, and the LFA-221 is a little too small.

The faucet fits through two holes in the tub. Maybe I have to remove the faucet and adapt up close to the valves, or replace the faucet, but I have no idea where I could obtain a suitable replacement, and I did not want to make a big deal out of this repair as I still got to replace the sink. The toilet tank fitting was not a problem.

Re: problem connecting old tub faucet to cpvc
Author: packy (MA)

i have never seen compression nuts that screw straight onto iron pipe.
i would take one of those nuts and bring it to a plumbing supply house. see if they can identify what is screws onto and how to adapt it to the faucet you have?
if you can post a picture as that may help also?

Author: hj (AZ)

you do NOT use CPVC, you find a company that sells the "brass supply lines" for a leg tub faucet. They have a 90 degree bend on the top and a brass beveled "nosepiece" to connects to the faucet with nuts, similar to a wash basin faucet connection.

[i1252.photobucket.com]
[i1252.photobucket.com]

Thanks for the comments.
So the other poster accurately described the two brass tubes coming off the tub faucet.
they come straight down and fit into a cast iron pipe with a like a compression or flange nut threading onto it. One of the images is one of these cast iron pipes into which the brass tubes inserted. These brass tubes measure .565 O.D.
I have also attached an image of the two tubes and the drain pipe on the tub. Whoever owned the house ran cpvc up from the basement and transitioned to the cast iron. The cast iron hot and cold were laid on the floor and ran around the wall of this spare bathroom. These cast iron pipe blew out when the HVAC system failed while I was out of town, and although I had shut off the well pump, there was enough water remaining in the system to break the cast iton pipes in a few places in the bathroom and when I turned the pump on upon returning home, the leaks became obvious.
So I am adding cutoffs, and reconnecting the cpvc to the tub, toilet and replacing the sink.

Author: packy (MA)

this is what you should have to transition from bathtub faucet to standard pipe size.
this one has male threads facing the floor but some also come with female threads facing the floor.
once this fitting is attached to the faucet shanks, it is a simple matter to transition to CPVC.

Only one of the faucet shanks has threads and they're shot, so I do not think the elbow can be used.

They measure .565 OD
Thanks

Edited 2 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

1 - the old pipe was galvanized steel, not cast iron

2 - this type of connection needs to be changed to a more modern type as the nuts in question may be almost impossible to find AND you can not cut a 'running pipe thread' onto standard CPVC pipe/tube - you would need sch. 80 CPVC

3 - simply go with Packy's suggestion

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Thanks for the feedback

I was reluctant to try to remove the supply lines because they are very corroded, and I was afraid I'd break something. But faucets and parts are readily available.

I got the two pipes off the tub today without great difficulty and now will source out the right angle adapters that packy shows

Thanks for the feedback

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.