Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Main won't drain!
Author: Worf6161 (CA)

Hi. I'm having A problem with the 4" main drain line of my house will not drain. (My house is raised and I have access to main sewer line under house). I have snaked every vent pipe with a 1/2" x 50' snake. I snaked every drain in the house with a 1/4" x 25' snake. Finally I went under the house and opened the 2" clean out, and it was full of water. I opened the 4" clean out on the main and it was full of water. I ran a 1/2" x 50' snake with the 2" cutting blades on it, down the 4" main. (The 4" main is only 4" for the first 2' (ABS) then it is cast iron (3"winking smiley all the rest of the way to the main sewer line in the middle of the street). After pulling it back out, the water level did not change. I measured the distance of what [appeared to be] the length of the main from my house to a new clean out the City put on my sidewalk. I tried to accommodate for the bends and pitch in the pipe and my best measurement was 47'. I used a 50' snake. Technically, that should have cleaned it out, right? Well, it is still full of water, only draining ever so slowly now. I put a hose down the clean out and ran water through it. No problem there. So the clog appears to be between the 4" main under my house and the clean out in front of my house. My questions are:

(1) Is it possible that I miss-measured the length of the pipe and I actually came up short on my measurements which means that the 50' foot snake was not long enough?

(2) Is it possible that the 1/2" x 50' snake with the 2" cutter attached "coiled up" inside the 3" pipe and not make the 50' run?

(3) Could there be something in the 3" main that the cutter would go through and self-seal after the snake was removed?

I do not believe that it is a vent pipe or household drain problem. I believe the problem lies in the main (somewhere). I only have an opening of 16" x 24" to get access under my house. I would not be able to get any kind of motorized snake under my house.

I have done everything I can think of and it is still not draining. HELP!!

Re: Main won't drain!
Author: bernabeu (SC)

you 'should' have a clean out outside the house (possibly covered up by landscaping)

at this point you need a professional with 'heavy duty' equipment

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. It is unlike any "hand cranked snake" would tough enough to do any good.
5. You probably have an outside cleanout, but it could be in the form of a tee with a plug buried at the depth of the sewer.
6. I hope your description of a 4" sewer connecting to a 3" cast iron sewer is incorrect, because if that is what you have, it is a big No-No.

Trying to do that. Getting a 100' snake and running it from that one toilet into the main. Too dangerous to try doing it under the house. would have 15' of flopping cable between the reel and the pipe to hit me with. If a 100' snake won't do it... time for a seal bomb!

This house was built in 1954, no outside clean out was installed. The outside diameter of the cast iron pipes are smaller that the 4" ABS that I have so I would guess 3" or 3 1/2" but not 4".

THANKS

GOT IT!!!!! Took a 100' snake but I got it! I was a Wonderful sound to hear that water RUSH down the pipe!!! Nice to have everything working again like it is supposed to!

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.