Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Frozen Sewer Line in Apartment building NEED HELP
Author: Jeffery32 (PA)

Okay so my fiancé and I moved into the second floor of an apartment building. After moving in we found out we had many busted copper pipes for our water we had to fix, replace, etc. Well after two weeks of only using water a little at a time from filled up gallon jugs, we found out after flushing our toilet and it coming up into our tub, that our sewer line is frozen, solid. We took the vent off that is in the basement which we have no idea why the landlord has one down there...when we took it off, we seen that the whole sewer line is frozen. After a little warm up here in central PA, water started going down but we found out it was spewing out the vent in between the walls in the apartment below which thank god is unoccupied. The main line is still frozen. Question is ***What is the quickest, cheapest and most efficient way to thaw those pipes. We are able to use a shop vac and get the standing water out of the pipes. Will rock salt and boiling water help?? We are a young couple with a baby, in poverty, we are unable to afford a plumber, we need an at home fix solution here. PLEASE HELP. frowning

Re: Frozen Sewer Line in Apartment building NEED HELP
Author: packy (MA)

you used the toilet then you used a shop vac to get the water out of the pipes and you have a baby around ???
get some professional help...

Baby has been with her father since we moved into this place. Needing to get it fixed SO I can have her there. Thank you. Didnt ask for rude comments.

Edited 1 times.

Also. Didn't know the line was frozen until much later. Weve had the place about 3!weeks now. This issue just came up about 6 days ago. And haven't been using our toliet, we haven't been there all that much. I'm just talking about using the shop vac to get the water from sinks out. I'm young, not retarded. Thanks.

what does young have to do with this??
i understand you are frustrated with your situation but flushing your toilet when the waste water comes up in someone elses apartment IS retarded.
the entire building may need to be sanitized because of what you are doing.
a frozen water pipe under a sink may be able to be thawed by using a hair dryer but a frozen sewer pipe needs a professional with proper equipment.
P/S, i'm not retarded either but i do have the wisdom that many decades of plumbing experience brings.
i repeat, call a professional

Author: hj (AZ)

sewer lines do NOT FREEZE, unless there is some other MAJOR problem. Heat and hot water are the only things that will thaw the line and both are difficult to get to the entire pipe.

not only that but if the toilet flushes but backs up in the apartment below then some portion of the stack is not frozen. but if the sinks do not drain then they may drain into a seperate stack which is frozen or else they are frozen inside the wall before thay join the toilet stack which is frozen down below but not above.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

I am truly sorry for your situation. If you are trying to live in an apartment with faulty, defective and health issues.......YOU SHOULD CONTACT THE OWNER OF THE BUILDING. You can not fix or replace anything when you are renting or leasing. Again, contact the owner or management company to have your apartment fix.

Best Wishes

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.