Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 abs cement
Author: arc (NY)

I inadvertently i grabbed a can of abs black cement instead of blue block to seal threads on gas line. Will this be a problem ?

Re: abs cement
Author: caja715 (Non-US)

not sure, risk assessment says, use the right approved product. does your can say it is approved for that? Will an inspector pass it.

can does not specify.. it's for a dryer hookup and connection is tight. There will not be any inspection for this work

obtw: the reason this happened was because i used the abs cement thinking it WAS 'blue block (the lable was distorted.. )
so rather then having to undo all that tread work, and also hearing that abs cement is used in metal body work - i'm hoping someone knowlegeable with the properties of these two products can advise me that i'm okay or that i'm into a big problem and also why...

Author: steve (CA)

Big problem. ABS cement is not pipe dope and should not be used as such, especially on gas piping!

Author: hj (AZ)

You are NOT going to get anyone who will say it "okay", because that is not an approved use for that product. However, since the purpose for pipe dope is to lubricate the thread and fill any voids caused by the threading process, it MIGHT do the job.

Author: packy (MA)

i remember a black gooey pipe dope called 'permatex'. i don't imagine it was any different from ABS cement.
that doesn't mean i approve using the ABS cement on gas pipe, but as hj said, it may work just as well.
the question is, will the gas eat away at the ABS cement and eventually cause a leak??

quote; will the gas eat away at the ABS cement and eventually cause a leak??
Reply To This Message

That was the reason they no longer allow PVC gas lines and fittings.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Arc, asking us only provides some intelligent comfort to your situation. Ask you home owner's insurance agent if they will cover any loss due to your installation. I'm sure their answer will have a more dramatic affect, than any of our replies. Keep in mind its not water or air.... but natural gas.

Best Wishes

thanks to all for the valuable input on my query

thanks to all for the valuable input on my query

Edited 1 times.

Author: caja715 (Non-US)

alomost sounds like a brush off, hope it isn't.. just take the time to put it together correctly with the right materials... and there is no shame in soap testing after. youll sleep better at night

"soap testing" has NOTHING to do with whether it will start leaking in the future, unless he wants to do it on a regular basis every month, or so. Even that might be inconclusive, because an air pressure test is the ONLY good way to tell if there is leaking.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hi (TX)

Hj
Will pressure testing assure that there will be no future leaks? Even with proper tape or dope?
Just wondering.

Author: steve (CA)

No.

Pressure testing will tell you that there are not leaks NOW, not what will happen down the road. This is why I always dislike pressure testing old gas systems. They may not be leaking NOW, but the extra stress of the higher pressure sometimes causes them to leak because the joints have dried up.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.