Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Leaky Shower Tub Faucets
Author: altonknutson (MD)

When I built my house back in 2001 I put in three shower tubs with American Standard faucets. Since then we have had kids and they are getting older and starting to use their bathrooms and I noticed that the faucets in all three shower tubs all leak to some degree when taking a shower, on one of them about half the water goes out the faucet and right down the drain. All of the local home store replacements have the same design, basically a cheap plastic gate valve. Is there any place I can get something with a more positive closing valve? These are installed in what I believe is a very standard manner, they slide over the 1/2" copper tube that is stubbed out into the tub.

Thanks,

Scott

Re: Leaky Shower Tub Faucets
Author: HelpMePlumb (FL)

It's not a valve that closes. More like a piece of rubber that is suctioned into the pipe and creates a seal. Seems like each one is a bit worn and that ANY new one will improve this problem.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

As stated... its not a valve but "divertor." The originals were brass and when you lifted the handle the divertor would "mate" with the spout, stop the water. The water would then travel to the shower head. Over the years the brass has worn and lost most/some of its ability to mate. Hence the dribble.

Changing the spout to a plumbing supply store quality will renew your shower. The cheaper spouts use plastic inserts that work for awhile.

Best Wishes

Thanks. The original ones are plastic. Will all tub faucets use this same design? The only difference would be quality? Are there any that use like a quarter turn valve instead of the gate type valve?

Scott

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Once again, these are not turning valves. They are lift divertors. If they are plastic, they are of the newer and cheaper style. Why not just replace all three.

Best Wishes

Any particular make / model you recommend?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

our sponser: [www.plumbingsupply.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: m & m (MD)

Back in the day, diverter spouts were made of brass and the machined mating parts in the diverter worked precisely allowing very little drippage vs. what your photo shows. Delta makes a fairly good diverter spout but if you want to purchase the old style brass spout, you will probably have to buy one from a local plumber who has access to Wolverine Brass products or the like.

Author: hj (AZ)

The Delta "pull down" diverters make a positive seal, but their adapter would have to be soldered on to your copper stub out.

That MAY be a good diverter, but I would caution my customers to NOT use anything that had that many pieces, each of which could be a failure point.

quote; Back in the day, diverter spouts were made of brass and the machined mating parts in the diverter worked precisely allowing very little drippage

In those days, the "drippage" was intentional so that the water drained out of the shower riser and the diverter "turned off", so that the next time the valve was used the occupant did not get hit with a blast of cold water from the head.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.