Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Gas boiler not working intermitently
Author: syakoban (NJ)

Hi,

In the past month, there have been three times that our gas fired Weil MClain boiler stopped firing, including last night. The circulator pump keeps pumping, the zone valves stay open, and the flue valve stays open. Each time I've turned the master electrical switch off (110V) and then waited about 30 seconds and flipped it on. When I do, the flue valve cycles closed, then opens, then the burner kicks on and we're back in business.

How do I diagnose this?

Is it a spill sensor, thermocouple, or what?

Thanks guys.

Re: Gas boiler not working intermitently
Author: bernabeu (SC)

yes

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Do you have all the documentation that came with the boiler? The troubleshooting procedure should be contained in them. Some are made easy by flashing lights in a certain pattern.

Author: packy (MA)

it is not the thermocouple.
you need an electrical multi tester and you need to check for 24V from the transformer. from there start chasing the 24V to see if it is passing thru the damper and on to the next safety. (which I think is the spill switch. from there it goes elsewhere until it eventually powers the burner.
you will have to wait until it fails to find out where it is failing.

Author: syakoban (NJ)

I have to dig out the manual, but the system is about 20 years old and there are no LED's.

So I use the multimeter and trace back the 24V. So I assume somewhere there won't be any voltage. Does that mean the previous part is bad, or the one I'm testing, or what?

Author: Paul48 (CT)

You put one lead to ground, and test on either side of a switch. If there's voltage on one side and not the other, it is open.

Author: packy (MA)

yeah, but you have to wait for it to fail before you can find the culprit.

Author: caja715 (Non-US)

by chance is this have a Honeywell smart valve

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.