Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 sump pump backflow
Author: EBush (MI)

I recently installed a battery backup to my sump pump, i installed a "y" with a check valve on each line about 40 inch's above the two sumps, the backup is installed next to the main pump not on top of the main sump,which is okay accordion to watchdog,now i have water back flow when the sump pumps out. my sump line is runs under my addition out to a lake, i live next to not sure of depth, could it have frozen at some point in the line, it worked up until installed the backup.

Re: sump pump backflow
Author: packy (MA)

so you are saying that none of the water is going out the pipe that it is all backing up thru the (so called) check valve.
have you tried unplugging the main pump and seeing if the backup pump sends water outside?

Author: hj (AZ)

the first question is, "if the check valve is installed properly, HOW is the water coming back in"?

Author: packy (MA)

i'm guessing it is an inexpensive check valve supplied by the pump manufacturer and it has a soft rubber gate that is bending under the force of the bigger pump.

my check valves are in right, i can hear the water going out, after a few seconds the water comes back into the pipe, stopping at the check valve. i said yesterday the drain goes to a lake next to my home and it is well above the water level. we bought this home in sept. moved in in oct. not sure how it all works yet.

quote; after a few seconds the water comes back into the pipe, stopping at the check valve.

That is what ALWAYS happens, which is why you installed the check valve.

thats not what happens with mine, my sump is under my stairs so it pumps up about 8 ft over to my wall then a 90 right to my outside wall at a decline then drops about 3ft inside my crawl space, then out to the drain, so i should not be getting a big backflow rush.

The pipe is ALWAYS full of water, so when the pump stops, the water WILL drop back and close the check valve. Depending on the specific elevations you WILL get a "backrush" of water because it will be creating a "suction/siphon" trying to pull the water back into the pit.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.