Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Washing machine drain backing up
Author: wrbriggs (VT)

I live in a raised ranch, about 40 years old, on town sewer. I have a washing machine in the basement, along with a sewage ejection basin & pump for a toilet and sink.

This past Saturday, while the washing machine was running, water started backing up out of its drain. Subsequent water use (flushing toilet or running sink downstairs, or sewage ejection pump kicking in) caused further, quite spectacular backups through that drain as well.

I called a local plumber who was recommended, and he immediately said this was likely a sewer line issue, and recommended a local septic company to handle the issue. The company came out the next morning, as they didn't have a cap for the sewer pipe, and mine had to be destroyed to remove it. He snaked the line, ran some water from various places, and pronounced the problem solved, but guaranteed his work for a week.

Today, water was slowly dripping from the cap on the sewer line, so the company came out and put another cap on, after which we didn't see any more leakage. Later this evening, the sewage ejection pump kicked in, and water again (almost instantly) fountained spectacularly out of the washing machine drain. The septic company came back out and jetted the main sewer line, which he said was completely empty when he removed the cap. He said that with the line empty, there's no way it would back up that quickly if the problem were in the main line. He then snaked the line between the washing machine drain and the main line, and said there were no blocks there, either. He left saying that he was completely stumped, and that as far as he was concerned, the main line was clear, so he was done his work. I called the plumber who had recommended the septic service, and he was also completely stumped, saying it would likely take many hours to diagnose this, and having someone come out on overtime would be extremely expensive.

So, I'm now petrifiedto run water from anywhere, because I'm not convinced it won't back up through that drain again. I also have no idea how or when it can be fixed, because no one can even diagnose the problem. Any help at all would be VASTLY appreciated! I have a special-needs daughter at home, with a lot of medical issues, and running water (and lack of sewage in the house) are incredibly important to her health.

I've attached some pictures of the pipe configuration:
[@#$%&[smg.photobucket.com]][/URL]
[@#$%&[smg.photobucket.com]][/URL]

Re: Washing machine drain backing up
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

It sounds as all the bases have been covered as far as drain cleaning. A camera may need to be sent down the pipe to look for any damages or obstructions. That is a code violation the way the washing machine drain is connected, but that is not the problem.

Author: wrbriggs (VT)

Thanks for the response; I'm a bit at a loss, as multiple people have told me that the company I hired is pretty much the absolute best company in the area for diagnosing drain issues, and the person they sent out said there's no way he would recommend running a camera, because he's completely confident the drain lines between the ejection pump and the street are open. The plumbers I've spoken with (none have come on-site yet due to availability) say they're stumped, and that this symptom is classic main line issue, but that they trust the septic company who came out originally.

The ejection pump kicked in once during the initial problem, when I was told there was a partial blockage in the main line, and there was definitely some force behind it; is it possible that this blew material into a vent line? Could this remaining issue be caused by a blocked vent, after the septic company cleared the main line, and if so, are there other symptoms I should be on the lookout for? I really just need this fixed, and am ready to pay a professional, but can't find anyone who seems willing to actually fix it.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

A blocked vent would not cause the issue you are having. If they are sure the pipe is clear from the cleanout to the street, the only other place it could be clogged is from the wye for the washer drain to the tee where the cleanout it. Feel free to use your drains, if water comes back up thru the washing machine drain, there is a blockage in the drain pipe.

Author: dlh (TX)

seeing as that wye to the washer drain is installed with bands i would remove that and see if the blockage is there because that is the only point i can see where it could be blocked and not cleaned very well at all

not to mention that this is the reason that sanitary tees are not supposed to be laid on the side like you have. they don't have enough of a sweep which can cause blockages in that area

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Edited 1 times.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Medical Doctors had the very same issue with guessing without credibility when it came to their patients health, until the internal cath camera was invented and used.

Now plumbers have the same technology with sewer cameras, for internal use, in your drain pipes and sewer line. Cameras, eliminate most of the guess work associated with restrictions, partitions, blockages and defective lines.

Did your septic people empty your tank and back flush, before the inspection? Was the cover removed for the inspection? Was power flushing considered?

Your system is 40 years old. It deserves a good internal inspection.
Best Wishes

Author: pyaden (KY)

How did u finally resolve this as I am having the Exact Same Issue...I am hoping you can give me some advice and education.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.