Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Calcium blocking pipes in wall..
Author: Pneuma (WA)

Hi Everyone,

Myself and another plumber have been trying to clean out and backflush calcium from fixtures from originally where a main broke. We cleaned out all the end fixtures / Used a neighbors hose to back-flush water and try to break the calcium clog. We would think we had it many times but something somewhere would get clogged up.. back and forth the clog would go and calcium sometimes chunking out at the end fixtures. This has been going on for 2 guys a day and a half. We are wondering if there is a chemical that can be pumped into the area that we think its blocked and break free 'Calcium' ?? has anyone had to go to this extreme.... The house is only 14 years old/ Pex / The water in their area is known for tremendous amounts of calcium as also we saw much coming out of the fixtures. If anyone knows a good product and application We WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE THE HELP!

THANK YOU!

Re: Calcium blocking pipes in wall..
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I'm guessing white vinegar. I'd use a small pump and tie into the main somewhere so that you could keep recirculating the vinegar. That's the way I have cleaned tankless water heaters in the past.

Author: Pneuma (WA)

I was thinking that too... so I tried placing some calcium chunks in a cup to see if it would desolve. After 30 min. it didnt seem to break the calcium up. If you know of any other chemicals I could pump the into the system with my hot water tank pump (hose connection directly to a stop.

Thank you

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

It takes time to dissolve "chunks" of calcium. Like NC said, I'd recirc white vinegar thru the system; allow more than 30 minutes for it to be effective. I guess there are more agressive chemicals that would work faster; not sure I would want any of them in my potable water lines, esp. Pex.
It could be a chunk of something besides calcium; perhaps debris, stones, etc. Hard to imagine why it would not backflush. Strange.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

The use of ANY chemical requires that you disconnect the water suppy, to prevent, backflow and contamination. Vinegar, would be my first choice. If one uses harser, more dangerous chemicals, like acids... make sure all lines are properly flushed and the waters tests at faucets before reconnecting the house to the main.

Best Wishes

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.