Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Septic-safe cleaning products?
Author: BigReg1500 (CT)

My new house is on a septic and I've only had city sewer before. So looking for cleaning product recomendations.

I know that bleach is a no-no because it kills the good bacteria in the tank, so I can't use that to clean the toilets.
What about things that you would normally use to clean showers/sinks/counters? I like soft scrub because it cleans well but that's bleach based.

What can we use to clean these things and still keep our septic system in check and still have that real clean feeling?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Septic-safe cleaning products?
Author: m & m (MD)

You can use bleach/clorox based cleaners, I do all the time. Just don't overuse them. Yes, you'll get some bacteria kill but it won't wipe out the tank. If you feel compelled, throw in some septic enzyme (Rid-X) or bakers yeast via the toilet on a monthly basis. That will promote bacteria growth.

Author: m & m (MD)

And have your tank pumped every 3-5 years.

Author: WC (VA)

Not a plumber -- just a 40 year user of a Septic system.

With a Septic Tank:

It is best to never use any paper products other that toilet paper. No paper towels, tissue paper or especially feminine products. Make SURE visitors / guest understand this. (Don't leave a box of "Kleenex" tissues in the bathroom where they can be easily used in lieu of toilet paper.)

Using a garbage disposal, or just being careless with table scraps -- you will be taking your chances if your system can handle it ---- not good.

Drain waste cooking oil/grease into a throwaway container (such as a coffee "jar" with a screw on lid).

As previously posted, "moderate" use of bleach for washing and other cleaning chemicals should be OK.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

Agree and disagree. Kleenex tissue is not that different than toilet paper. No big deal. Paper towells and feminine products.. no-no.
Grease.. big no-no. Any system.
Table scraps.. keep to minimum.
Agree, moderate use of bleach based cleaners, OK, just don't go overboard.
Haven't had our septic pumped in eight years and still working OK.

Author: BigReg1500 (CT)

Thanks for the replies.
We use grease cans in the freezer, the disposal is used only for the small bits that make it through the mesh screen strainer we have on the sink. No lady products are flushed in our house. And our kids think it's funny when I say that unless you ate it first nothing should be in that toilet bowl...
So seems like we're in good shape, will just make sure to use the bleach products moderately for cleaning.
As for pumping, I thought I would go on an annual schedule just to be save. Overkill?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.