Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Toilet not flush after replacing the wax ring
Author: cdma18 (IL)

I have a toilet in the basement. When I replace the wax ring with funnel, then the toilet won't flush at all. However if I put the wax ring (without the funnel), it works but the water leakage around the toilet. Do you think I have a clog in the sewer line due to not enough air to push the water out? Also the bath tub next to the toilet also experience slow drainage.

I am not sure there are any air vents for the toilet in basenment. if so, where can I locate it?

Reply To This Message

Re: Toilet not flush after replacing the wax ring
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

That sounds like exactly what is wrong, a leaky seal is allowing trapped air to get out of the drainage and allowing the toilet to flush. When a good seal is achieved the air is trapped and the water has a hard time going down. If there is a vent, I'd say theres a clog or belly in the piping before it reaches the vent. A pipe cleaning may be in order, or a camera sent down to see whats going on.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

the vent has nothng to do with how the toilet flushes. you have a restriction in the line

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

Air DOESN'T "push the water out", but nothing you have written gives us any clue as to why the toilet doesn't flush. Vents are usually concealed so even if they are there, YOU wouldn't find them. since it is in the basement, it might have been installed over a floor drain "P" trap, which keep it from flushing unless the wax ring leaked.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: Plumbum

NO Way hj!!!

A homeower/handyperson plumbs a basement bathhroom and sets a loo on a floor drain?
Never seen it ;-P
Interesting thought!

My money is on hj

HAHAHA

POSTER PEOPLE >>>>>> Without pics we are all blind
There are many free pic sites

Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Hiya CDMA!
I hate when that happens. 1st of all I agree with others that you have a blockage in the waste line (yeah, i'm sure that is exactly what you want to read). Where it lies, is anyone's guess by looking at a computer screen. Often when homeowners are not properly trained, they truly believe that all issues can be easily with a new wax gasket and a clean vent. Again, some home owners don't realize that plumbing is more then Step 1, Step 2, and Step 3. Often there may be Step 1 and 1-A, B, and C before going to Step 2.

Another thing to consider is what is causing such a blockage. It could be something organic or it could be non-organic and the remedy varies greatly.

Contact a licensed plumber and have them do a look see to determine the cause and possible cures. I'm hoping its something simple......

Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; A homeower/handyperson plumbs a basement bathhroom and sets a loo on a floor drain?

Yep! Let's see, a toilet needs a 4" opening and I have one right here already". When Delta was making low gpf plastic one piece toilet, a company bought one from my distributor, but it would not flush, even though the old one worked perfectly. They asked me to see if I could find out what the problem was. When I removed it, I saw that IT was installed over a "P" trap. The low flush did not have enough power to flush through it but the 6.5 version did, so I reinstalled it and they returned the Delta. I also had a toilet on the upper floor of a retirement center which was the same way.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.