Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 How to clean years of accumulated "gunk" from kitchen sink piping
Author: davidrobert (WV)

The PVC drain line from our kitchen sink was clogged but we managed to use a plunger to clear the clog and now it drains well. However the problem is sure to return and I need another solution.

The 2 inch PVC drain line from the bottom of the kitchen sink trap runs horizontally with a slight decline about 30 feet to the 4 inch main sewer line which connects to the septic tank. When I removed a clean-out at the end of the 30 foot run and watched water from the kitchen sink pass through the 2 inch pipe and flow into the 4 inch main line, I noticed masses of "gunk" flow out of the 2 inch line. This is material that must have built up in the pipe over the years. After a few minutes, there were no more masses of "gunk" but the water running out of the 2 inch line was grey in color and was not running clear. I am guessing that the walls of the 2 inch line have accumulated "gunk" on them and that accounts for the grey color.

How do I clean the inside walls of the 30 feet of 2 inch PVC line so that the line does not clog again? Home brew cleaner? Chemical cleaner (that is friendly to my septic tank)? Call a professional plumber with a professional snake to clean out the line?

Thank you.

Re: How to clean years of accumulated "gunk" from kitchen sink piping
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

A professional plumber with a professional snake to clean out the line- would be the correct answer.

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

hire a drain cleaner

or buy a $400 snake and spend a few years on how to use it correctly

to do it right its not a homeowner job....anything you do will most likely be temporary on kitchen grease

Author: packy (MA)

since you are on a septic system, it is not good to use any chemicals.
running a spinning snake wire thru the 50 ft drain while the water is running slowly will remove all gunk from PVC pipe.

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Once every two months just before the sink will not be used for hours pour ten ounces of 5% by volume chlorine into the sink.on the same night /time add one ounce of bakers yeast flushed down one of your toilets.Balance is not an act.it is an action.Where pvc clogged in less than three years have the tubing slope increased.Though I myself make money snaking clogged drains.the bio build up can be separated from the pvc tubing as said.Yeast is the least costly/properly used, pro build for septic bugs.

Author: steve_g (CA)

If there's a garbage disposal and you think you could live w/o it, removing it would help. Long horizontal kitchen runs - with a disposal - will tend to build up the gunk you're talking about.

Author: Scott D. Plumber (VA)

I'm with hiring a drain company. Rooter something in your area. Drain machines are definately not for homeowners and not for a lot of plumbers in my opinion. I hate the knuckle biting sob's. THe first time you have one wrap around your hand you'll understand. I had a Ridgid 300. Used it twice. Didn't care for it properly after. 6 months later went to use it again and cable broke. fixed it and sold the !@# thing. Hard to beat the drain cleaning guys at their game and make any money.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Give your kids a great start on the future! Encourage them learn a trade. Even if they go on to do other things, it's always nice to know that they have something to fall back on. Call your local technical training center or trade school to learn more.

Author: Plumber101us (KS)

to properly clear the build up in your drain you need to first auger it out to get it open and flowing then follow it up with a jetter to wash the walls of the pipe and check it with a mini camera to verify it is clear and clean

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.