Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 515,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 How to remove plastic object stuck in toilet drain
Author: Caseymnpc (PA)

My son threw a 2-inch round plastic slip nut ring into the toilet and i believe it is stuck in the toilet drain. How on earth can I get it out? Will liquid fire melt it? Removed toilet and tried snaking a wire through it but was unsuccessful. The drain it goes into is plastic 4-inch then goes to 2-inch.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Casey M

Reply To This Message

Re: How to remove plastic object stuck in toilet drain
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Your toilet drain goes from 4" down to 2" ? A closet auger will either push the plastic object on thru the trap or will entangle it and pull it back the way it went in.

Reply To This Message

Author: HelpMePlumb (FL)

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; The drain it goes into is plastic 4-inch then goes to 2-inch.

That is impossible, but if the ring is stuck anywhere, it is in the toilet. WE cannot tell you how to remove it, because usually it is a hit or miss task and the plumber might have to try several things before he is successful.

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Are you really sure that you have to do anything? Are you sure that something is stuck at this point? Is the toilet passing solids as it did before the incident?

What is Liquid Fire ?

Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

Author: mpscheiner (CA)

Remove the toilet. Take it outside to a hose. Turn the toilet upside down and put a hose in the bottom of the toilet. Turn the hose on full blast. If the ring doesn't come out easy, fool around withe the position of the hose and adjust the way the water flows through the toilet... This has worked well for me a few times...

Reply To This Message

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Before you go crazy.....what make and model of toilet is it? One of my grandkids threw a plastic action figure in the toilet and flushed it when they lived in a condo. It was a 100 dollar toilet, and not worth the 3 hours I spent trying to extricate the mini superhero.

Reply To This Message

quote; It was a 100 dollar toilet, and not worth the 3 hours I spent trying to extricate the mini superhero.

Unless you were paying yourself, it did not cost you anything other than 3 hours of TV viewing. BUT, a plumber would not have taken 3 hours to get it out.

Reply To This Message

Author: Paul48 (CT)

No....In the case of a plumber trying to extricate it, it would not be worth his minimum charge.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Remove water from trap.wet vac trap dry.heat closet auger and melt foreign object.retrieve if possible.

Reply To This Message

Author: mark (LA)

your method helped me remove the top plate of a set of dentures at a nursing home in the Alzheimers unit. The nurse told me it had dissapeared five weeks earlier.

Reply To This Message

quote; ....if both are good then get a new flush valve

Unless it is red hot, it will not melt into the plastic, and if it IS red hot, you have destroyed the end of the closet auger.

Reply To This Message

Hj tempering is as done.reheat and cool to restore.The auger coil.

Reply To This Message

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

I used the same method to remove a bottle of pills stuck in a toilet trap. The ironic thing: the pills causing the blockage were "all Nautral Laxitives" :)

Reply To This Message

I had a "stubborn" toilet once. I fed a rope through the toilet then tied a 1/2" 45 elbow in the middle. I "hammered" the elbow through the toilet by pulling back and forth on the ends of the rope. Finally, I removed a metal can of camphor, shaped like a snuff can. The metal can was completely rusted and was full of holes so it had been in the toilet for months and maybe years.

Reply To This Message

Author: bernabeu (SC)

similar ..... after 3 (moonlighting) trips as an apprentice i finally pulled the w/c

a grid from the grounds basket of a coffee percolator was stuck and 'flip-flopping' (guest bath, seldom used for #2)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Retired U.A. Local 1 & Local 638
~ Measure Twice & Cut Once ~
~ Eight 4 Eight ~

Reply To This Message

If you had worked for me and I found out about it, you would only have made ONE moonlighting trip. The others would have been as an unlicensed contractor because you would have lost your apprentice license.

Reply To This Message

:)

moonlighting in the sense of of helping an older lady trapped in a huge rent controlled apartment for the price of a cup of tea

no offence taken

ps. in my old neck of the woods moonlighters were shot on sight

~ Eight 4 Eight ~

Reply To This Message

As long as you were not trying to be my "competitor".

Reply To This Message

she could not have afforded to hire you .... unless you charged her the same fee i did ~ cup of tea each visit ~ when i discovered she was actually eating canned cat food i almost broke down

magically, i had to fix her fridge by filling it up so it 'would hold the cold better'

another cup of tea

funny thing is: i despise tea

~ Eight 4 Eight ~

Reply To This Message

HJ.Guess you are glade he wasn't. By any light you wont stop kindness from occurring.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms