Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Toilet tank bolt stuck
Author: sum (FL)

For whatever reason, I have a toilet where whoever installed the tank last did not use those winged nuts but used regular hex nuts to attach to the bowl. The screws are now totally corroded, if I stick a screw driver down and turn hard a chunk of it will come off from the screw head.

Yet the nut underneath I was not able to free, it is threaded onto the bolt and the bolt is also corroded. I was not able to hold the screw in place and back out the bolt.

My only other option I can think of is to use an angle grinder to cut off the nut. However, the nut is right up agasint the ceramic tank and the grinder might hit the tank if I slip.

Any idea?

Re: Toilet tank bolt stuck
Author: steve (CA)

Is the toilet installed?
Drill a hole through the center of the bolt head, so the head will detach from the shank?

Author: Paul48 (CT)

sum...see what I mean about "Plan B"? Ain't homeownership fun!

The toilet was previously installed. I simply pulled it out to put in a new flow valve, new flapper, new wax ring, new angle stop, new tank bolts, new supply hose...etc.

Now the tank is on the floor laying sideways, while I figure out how to take the bolt off.

Paul, I don't mind planning for contingencies, but these little annoying things are just plain - ANNOYING!

Author: HelpMePlumb (FL)

Hack saws are wonderful things

Author: bnplmb (NY)

Milwaukee 12v sawzall. do it all the time

How? Saw off the nut? There is no space between the nut and the tank bottom, there isn't a sliver of space I can saw the shaft off between the nut and the bolt.

try to get the bolt between tank and bowl.

they also make nut splitters for these things.the one time i tried one it didnt work. there are different types. maybe try an automotive place. i use the 12v sawzall but its a bit of an investment for one toilet

Edited 1 times.

OK let me explain a bit more.

There is a wing nut between on the bottom side of the bowl. That nut has been taken off. I lifted the tank up, and thought the bolts would just come loose. Not quite. There is a metal nut threaded onto the bottom of the tank. This nut will not come off, it's seized and the tank screw is badly corroded.

Right now the tank is laying on the floor.

I have a sawzall I cannot get the blade between the nut and the tank bottom to cut the shaft.

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

Run the saw blade alongside(parallel) the bolt and cut the nut in pieces.

sum, wing nut are wrong also..
Author: packy (MA)

before anyone gets the impression that if winged nuts were installed that you would not have a problem.. WRONG..
the bolts themselves must be solid brass or this is what happens. the nuts must also be solid brass. those winged nuts would be acceptable if they are solid brass but none of them are.
lesson learned.
if anyone is installing a toilet and the tank to bowl bolts and nuts are plated steel, TOSS THEM. use only solid brass.

Re: sum, wing nut are wrong also..
Author: Don411 (IN)

Angle grinder on the nut is probably safer than the sawzall, you just have to be real careful working up against the porcelain. I know what you are talking about....the tank and bowl are already apart, this is the nut that holds the bolt tight to the tank itself so it will seal against the rubber washer inside.

Author: hj (AZ)

Cut the bolt between the tank and bowl with a hacksaw blade or a SawZall. I never use wing nuts. Sometimes they hit the bowl so you cannot tighten them properly, or they are recessed, like yours, and you cannot get the leverage to tighten them snug.

quote; these little annoying things are just plain - ANNOYING

If you worked with toilets often enough, you would discover that it is almost NORMAL, not an annoyance.

Cut the bolt off flush with the nut, then cut down through the middle of the nut.

If those nuts rusted, you must have had a leak sometime.

Author: joe plumber (NE)

I agree ,just use a hacksaw blade or a sawzall between the tank and the bowl .Been doing it that way for 44 years.Some of the after market tank to bolts did come out with those friggen wing bolts .

OK this one is solved.

I used an angle grinder to remove the portion of the rusted shank protruding beyond the nut.

Then I used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to split the nut and the shank inside of it into two half circles.

On to the next one.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

rah rah rah ... sis boom bah

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

Congrats!
If you work with old toilets alot keep that angle grinder handy. smiling smiley

Author: sidejob bob (FL)

tiny tim for me all day

And, there is no doubt there will be a "next one", and probably very soon.

Author: frustrated homeowner (WA)

it seems hex nuts are usually used to attach the tank bolts with the rubber washer to the tank itself then the bolts go thru the toilet bowl base and are attached with the wing nuts and rubber washers at that point to the bowl. from what you have said it sounds like you have already removed the tank. i have had this same issue and i did as suggested and drilled out a pilot hole in the bolt with the smallest drill bit available and deep enough to go past the hex nut. then i moved one size larger in drill bits each time until the nut finally "fell" off as i held it with a wrench to keep the bolt from turning while drilling the bolt out. always use brass bolts supplied with toilet "kits" because they are a softer metal and can be drilled out.
good luck

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.