Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
Buy plumbing supplies online
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 p-trap for bathtub
Author: waynemorel (Non-US)

Does anyone know how far can a p-trap be installed for a bathtub?
Can I install a p-trap about 4-5ft away from the tub?
Thank you.

Reply To This Message

Re: p-trap for bathtub
Author: Doug E. (CA)

no. not a good idea. why can't you install it right at the tub with the waste and overflow?

Reply To This Message

Author: sum (FL)

Did you remove a left handed tub and bought a new right handed tub, something like that?

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: vic (CA)

Yes, with most plumbing codes you can go 5' IF you increase the size of the trap to 2" as well as increase the trap arm piping to 2" then usually you can go as far as 5' for the trap arm length (if you go exactly at and no more than 1/4" per foot fall).

--

The maximum length of the trap arm (the horizontal distance from the trap weir to the inner edge of where the air from the vent enters that piping) is determined by the size of the trap, the trap-arm pipe size and the degree of fall (grade) of the trap arm pipe.

If you drop the piping at more than 1/4" per every 1 foot (the 1/4" per 1 ft is the "ideal" amount of grade) that shortens the maximum length allowed for the trap arm.

With most plumbing codes a minimum of 1 1/2" trap is required for a bathtub and 3 1/2' is the maximum distance allowed for a trap arm IF you go exactly at 1/4" per foot drop. If you drop more than that the trap arm won't be allowed to be that long.

You could even increase your trap and trap arm to 3" and that would allow you an even longer distance for the trap arm.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

I will reread the question, but I got the impression he wants to locate the trap 5' from the waste and overflow connection. Relocating the "P" trap away from the tub is NEVER a good idea. The added distance before the trap seal can become fouled and create odors in the room, and snaking the line can become dicey.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

here in WI i think the trap offset is 15" vert or horiz

some inspectors will let you get away with a running trap if the trap would be in a area prone to freezing....but 5'...nope

there is a special provision for floor drains having running traps and thats mostly for garage floor drains where you put the trap inside the basement....

i wouldnt do what your asking

Reply To This Message

Author: vic (CA)

Oops.

Yup, I believe you are correct hj.

Shows for me not to answer first thing in the morning when still half asleep.

:-)

Really appreciate the correction.

Vic

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.