Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Dirty water in toilet tank & bowl + gurgling & spitting sounds
Author: oxfordvilla (GA)

In the middle of the night, I woke up to gurggling and spitting sounds coming from one of my toilets. I turned off the valve and the noise stopped, but the water in the tank and the bowl was brown. It doesn't smell bad, it looks as though it's just dirty. I checked all my toilets and they are all that way. One doesn't make the noise, but the other two do. PLEASE HELP!! We just had rain -- could that have anything to do with it? I'm on a septic tank, if that matters.

Re: Dirty water in toilet tank & bowl + gurgling & spitting sounds
Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Water conditions can cause that issue, creating brown stains and affect both the fill valve and flush valve. A good toilet bowl & tank cleaner will resolve those issues. The cause of the brown water is an entirely different issue. Do you have city sourced water or well?

Best Wishes

I have city water ... but actually, there's an update. I ran the water in the bathroom sink and everything seemed fine, so I thought the problem was isolated in the toilets, but later, I turned on the water in my kitchen sink and it sputtered and spat out some dirty water too. I left it on, and it eventually ran clear, but when I filled a pitcher, I could see that it had some faint brown tinge to it. Also, my icemaker made dirty ice during the night, so the problem isn't just in my toilets. I live in an old historic home, but the plumbing is new. Please, please tell me that it's not a broken water line. I'm at my end .....

Author: packy (MA)

was the city/town flushing out the water mains?

Thank you so much for your time. As it turned out, a city water main broke and they had it repaired by 2:00am, but there was all kinds of air and dirt in the line. Since this was Saturday, I had no way of calling anyone to find out, but it so happened that I found a neighbor who knew what was going on. All is well. Thank goodness it was not one of my water pipes. My house was built in 1820 and I can't tell you all the renovation "adventures" I have endured so far. I love my house, but, I swear, I'm one disaster away from a mental breakdown!

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

Ah, the joy of being a home-owner smiling smiley
Now, since your pressure has stabilized, you may want to un-screw your aerators from the faucets, and clean/soak/replace them.
Also, I would not be suprized if it's time to put a new fill valve and flapper in the toilets that were making noise. The debris from the line repair may clog or slow down your fill valves. The fact that 2 toilets were trying to fill back up when service was restored points to a leaky flapper valve. (unless they were flushed after the water was cut off.)
Are we having fun yet?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.