Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 dirty hot water
Author: nelle (TX)

We recently had our master bathroom remodeled in our 20 yr old home. Since the remodel, we have yellowish colored water coming out of the new hot water faucet in the new bathtub. This is the only faucet in our house with this problem. We have lived in this house for 12 years and never had a similiar problem. This does not occur every time the water is turned on. It happens when the water has not been turned on for a few days and it only runs dirty when first turned on and then quickly runs clear and clean. Our home is built on a slab foundation (no basement) with pipes running in the slab. OUr remodel included the installation of a new drop in tub. This involved cutting out the slab to move the pipes for the new tub, new pipes, new valves, and new Danze faucets. We have talked with our contractor about this problem and he says it's not related to the remodel. Help! What are some possible causes of this problem? We are wondering if it could possibly be caused by a slight leak in the new pipes that is allowing contaminants into our hot water pipe. The plumbing is all covered up by the tile surround on the frame/decking that holds the tub. The tub is acrylic and was set in concrete for stability. Any insights and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Reply To This Message

Re: dirty hot water
Author: steve (CA)

I would say that there is a steel component(washer retaining screw?, dielectric union?, galvanized nipple?) located in the hot water piping. The steel item is rusting and when not is use, allows the rust to build up enough that the first flow of water washes the rust off and it comes out the faucet.

Reply To This Message

Thanks for you input. Do you mean that this rusting component was already there? Not added during the remodel? Will this problem get worse over time? Is there any way to easily correct the problem?

Reply To This Message

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Most likely a galvanized pipe was used somewhere during the installation of the new tub. I don't think it will be an easy fix unless it was used on the tub spout, which I'm not sure you have. Theres no chance that its being caused by a leak in the piping.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

if you have a threaded tub spout coming out of the wall its the first place id look

since your house is only 20 years old there should be no reason that you have Gal. pipe anywhere

call your plumber and ask him where it is?

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

Someone must have used a steel pipe or fitting at the bathtub, often a plug to seal an unused opening, and it is causing rusty water. The longer the water sits between uses the more rust there is and thus the darker water. A "slight leak in the pipes" would allow water to seep out, but NEVER let contaminents into the pipe.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Glad to hear that a leak in the pipes would not be an issue. I thought it might since the pipes are in the slab. I am wondering about another possibility...Is it possible that this is a temporary problom caused by having the water supply turned off a few times duing the remodel? Could that change in water pressure have loosed up some rust in the pipes that was there prior to the remodel? And if so, would that rust eventually be washed out of the pipes? Could I speed up the process by running the hot water for an extended period of time? BTW..our faucet does not come out of the wall. It is on the tub decking and the pipes come up from within the tub surround.

Reply To This Message

Any "residual rust" should have been flushed out almost immediately, and it would NOT get darker when the faucet is not used frequently.

Reply To This Message

Author: RWP (SD)

Remove the bathtub spout. I bet the lazy guy that installed it used a galvanized nipple. There is probably galvanized from the faucet body to the spout. This equals 2 nipples and one elbow.

- - - - - - - - - -

Retired after 50 years of plumbing and heating.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

I would ask the contractor to remove the failed/ Doumbzy\ spout and test it in his home or find a better cure for ///shifty\\\ brass.remove the spout hook a hose to the brass and test,IT???

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

He might also have used a steel plug in the top opening, if the valve did not use it for a shower riser.

Reply To This Message

Brass does NOT "rust", regardless its compostion.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

HJ?that was what I supposed also.Guess again and the manufacturer might blame the manufacturing process.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995 The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.