Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Water Heater Noise
Author: raindog (OR)

Howdy-

If you guys could check out this video, it is very very brief, just seconds. Its really there just to hear. Listen to the water heater. The noise is emanating from the water heater. We are not sure what is causing it. The homeowner believes it is something electronic. It is a gas water heater and I cant imagine how a thermopile could generate enough power to create a flaw that resulted in noise like that. I believe it is likely a result of thermal expansion. Bradford Tech Support sorta pointed me in that direction too.

If you believe it is due to thermal expansion, I am sure the follow up questions I will get are, my old water heater didnt do it, why is this new one doing it? I think the answer to that might be heat trap nipples, but not sure. Any ideas?

Video link:

[www.youtube.com]

Here is what I think. Its thermal expansion on a closed loop. Why it didnt happen with the old water heater? A: the new water heater has heat traps. Bradford uses a heat trap that is a rubber like flapper, they moved away from the ball checks that chattered. The rubber flappers are hammering. But factory says no way to the heat trap, but pints to pressure, I read as expansion.

Thanks,

Dave

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Re: Water Heater Noise
Author: jimmy-o (CA)

Thermal expansion is less likely on an electric because it heats so much more slowly than a gas, allowing time for "normal" things to happen and relieve the pressure. Ultimately, if nothing else happens, it does heat up and there will be the expansion. If those heat traps were fluttering, I could see hammer out in the piping, but I don't see how the valves themselves would make any noise. Get a sound probe, or a long screwdriver held to your ear, and see if you can localize the noise. And of course, get a pressure gauge with tell-tale needle on there. That will tell you a lot.

Reply To This Message

Author: Paul48 (CT)

If that noise is fairly consistent in its length, a carefully coordinated opening of a faucet in conjunction with the start of the noise, should stop it instantly,if its expansion.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

The flue has a baffle in it, and that may be expanding when the burner comes on.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Have your self respecting plumber clean the heat sinc off of the flex copper connection @hot outlet!!!Have him hard pipe it and earn a little more respect.Call bradford white and ask for a replacement hot outlet sinc if you did this.Little blue plastic sleeve with small rubber gate!!!

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.