Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 515,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 gurgling toilet
Author: thntgs (OK)

My toilet in the spare bathroom gurgles when it's flushed. As the water leaves the toilet it makes a gurgling sound and is slow to fill back up. There is no power flush to it anymore. the house was built in 1990 and we have snaked the toilet and still can't get it to flush correctly. It does have a tendency to clog a lot easier now than it has in the past. What do I need to do, pull the toilet, what?

Reply To This Message

Re: gurgling toilet
Author: Paul48 (CT)

I'd replace the fill valve. It adds to the total volume of the flush, and if you're just getting a dribble of water, you're not getting a good flush.

Reply To This Message

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I did notice that the valve is an old fluidmaster, one of those brown ones.

Reply To This Message

Author: mark (LA)

Did little johnny drop something in it thats caught across the throat of the discharge outlet, crayon, popsickle sticks, plastic qtips, tampon case, pull it off the floor and flip 'er upside down and get ya a good look see. you'd be ammazed at what I pull out of em. The like set of false teeth at the nursing home a few years back.
A good test I like to use, I call the water test- if it flushes the bowl of just water fine, but when you put a handful of paper it reacts as though it wants to clog, chances are theres something lodged in it.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

if the valve doesn't fix it, then I will pull the toilet and look under and while it's off run th snake again. Thanks for the info!

Reply To This Message

Author: hj

quote; There is no power flush to it anymore

If it is a conventional tank with a fill valve, and NOT a pressure flush tank, then the fill valve has NOTHING to do with the "power flush" since that is created by the water IN the tank. Either the water is not flowing out fast enough, the bowl's water passages are obstructed, the bowl is clogged, or you have a sewer problem. ALL of these can create the same symptoms.

Edited 2 times.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms