Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 If faucet has a hard rubber or plastic baseplate do you need to seal it ??
Author: cvcman (NY)

Our new faucet came with a hard rubber base plate gasket, should I still have sealed it to the sink top with silicone or something ?? I has a lip all the way around it that the faucet sits into. It didnt say anything about sealing but someone told me to plumbers putty under it which makes no snse because it would squeeze it out when tightened because the gasket is all the way under the faucet.
If I siliconed it I would think it would be a pain in the a$$ to ever remove....What do you guys do..
Thanks

Mr OCD

Reply To This Message

Re: If faucet has a hard rubber or plastic baseplate do you need to seal it ??
Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

if it has a rubber gasket there's no reason to caulk it

if it just has a hard plastic piece that goes under the faucet i typically use plumbers putty or caulk depending on what the surface is...i dont use silicone- i use adheisive caulk

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

i use silicone..

Reply To This Message

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Depends upon the surface the faucet is being mounted to. Granite or marble gets silicon, putty for everything else.

Reply To This Message

its cultured marble ( whatever that is ) right now i just have the base gasket down and it seems ok I dont see any water leaking into the cabinet....It seems like the putty would squeeze right out because the top of the sink where the faucet mounts is nice and flat and smooth

Reply To This Message

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Take a cup of water and pour around the base of the faucet and see if any water drips into the cabinet. I think Oatey makes a plumbers putty thats safe for cultured marble.

Reply To This Message

humm ok i will try it but i dont think any will come thru, mabe a tiny drop ??? It doesnt usually get water up near the base anyway beacause its set in the bowl recess

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

It NEVER all squeezes out, but the oil in regular plumber's putty will stain the marble.

Reply To This Message

i bought the "stainless putty" I thought it ment it was for stainless steel not that it wouldnt stain

Reply To This Message

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

If the faucet sits nice and flat on the gasket and surface, and stays that way after I snug it down, no caulk. I never use plumber's putty on faucets. If there is any disortion or gaps I'll use a waterproof caulk/sealer. I think GE makes a silicone sealer that cleans up with water.. I haven't tried it yet.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

I see the plastic and the directions.They either make it plain to see or they buy the cabinet base.I save the directions to the customer purchased facets.Never use any thing not specified by directions.Hope they bought moen.self sealing base.???unless you screwed up and used putty under it!!!!I cannot fix the failure before it occurs.be sure you note your thoughts of failure as billed.Will I bend a s/s sink?yes .will I add putty or silicone chalking as needed yes.Will you note the reason you did?

Reply To This Message

Man is it me or can anyone figure out what lemon is saying...Not tryng to be a @#$%& but is he from another country ??

Reply To This Message

depends on if you put putty under a self sealing faucet!Yes see you did not void any warranty issues.I like earth.but see the tubing.not the user!Cave man 100th of a mishap.the user has failed to use an approved product/Note year to date failure\cave man 100th .

Reply To This Message

unreal, am I on Candid Camera ? Lemon, are you loaded ????

Reply To This Message

bud ser?

Reply To This Message

Author: RWP (SD)

I have seen most faucets, that did not use either putty or another caulk, leak at the base down into the cabinet below. Always use putty or another kid of caulk.

- - - - - - - - - -

Retired after 50 years of plumbing and heating.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

where does the water come from ?? If the faucet itself isnt leaking it would have to come from water splashed up on the faucet, alot of water...

Reply To This Message

Author: SwimRunPlumb (MI)

That is exactly where it comes from, splashed water while using the faucet and sink.

Reply To This Message

Author: nemo227 (CA)

Mine leaked. I thought I needed new supply lines so I installed them. Still leaked. Then I discovered the water that puddled next to the faucet base somehow got past the putty and down it went. There's no substitute for a good seal wherever there is water. Water finds a way.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.