Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 515,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 flushometer problem(s)
Author: sgull (AK)

At my workplace installed on the toilet is a Royal Flushometer that all of a sudden is continuing to allow water to run after flushing, not much but just enough to be heard and to keep constant heavy condensation on the chrome. When I try to close the control stop all the way, I turn it as far as it'll go but still the water doesn't cut off all the way, water keeps running, can hear it through the assembly and also gurgling/trickling sound coming from the bowl. Also, perhaps a separate problem, but water is dripping/leaking from the handle assembly where the round ball end of the handle inserts. Need advice on fix please. thanks

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Re: flushometer problem(s)
Author: joe plumber (NE)

Rebuild the flushometer with a Sloan retro kit and replace the handle.Make sure the water shuts off before rebuilding .Might as well replace the vacuum breaker too.

Edited 2 times.

Reply To This Message

It's a fairly old Sloan Flushometer Royal, not sure whether Royal II or what series or whatever. The idea of rebuilding it with new parts seems reasonable, but not sure about the idea of a retrofit kit as I don't want/need the automatic sensor business nor am concerned about saving water. I could post a pic of the Flushometer, maybe that could help someone to identify for me specifically what model it is so I can maybe get on the right track acquiring the repair/rebuilding parts I need? thanks

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Much depends on whether you have an angle stop or straight stop and if it has a wheel handle or screw driver. Rebuild kits for the stops are available, even for the obsolete stops. Once repaired, you can properly shut off the water to properly service the closet valve. Does your flushometer has a ground joint tailpiece or an adjustable tailpiece? (H-553) is the O ring on the adjustable tail piece. A-36 internal kit will give you ample flush per cycle. A B-50 handle repair kit will clean up the leak in the handle. And as suggested a V5551 vb kit.

To finish the job you might think about the toilet spud gasket, and slip joint gasket with friction ring, at the base where the flush valve enters the toilet.

All said its about a one hour job.
Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

The rubber seal in the shut off valve has disintegrated and a piece of it is stuck on the seat of the flushometer. Get a shutoff valve repair cartridge, diaphragm, and disc, then repair the valve.

Reply To This Message

We do not need a picture of the Royal valve, but one of the shut off valve might tell us if it uses the modern repair part.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

quote; All said its about a one hour job.

For a PLUMBER, for a DIYer, it could be an all day job.

Reply To This Message

I know many repair people in schools, business and hospitals that work on flushvalves daily that agree its about a one hour job. For a novice, yes it could take much longer.
Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

Here’s a picture of the stop valve. [i207.photobucket.com] It says on it 600 series stop valve. I assume by looking at it that it’s a straight stop rather than an angle stop? Can we identify with this info and picture whether it needs the "modern" repair part?
The tailpiece is the adjustable type.
Also, the toilet is a wall mount model, if that would make any difference in making sure to get correct repair/replacement parts.

Also, I was looking at this [www.sloanvalve.com] specifically the two listed as item(s) in number 17, and 8. Would those be the proper parts, if I could get them?

Edited 3 times.

Reply To This Message

The stop uses a 1" repair kit/insert. You also need a diapragm and seat disc, NOT the entire internal assembly. You can also replace the vacuum breaker and handle inserts. Although removing the valve to "fix" the vacuum breaker can cause other problems.

Edited 2 times.

Reply To This Message

I went ahead and picked up some repair items from the local plumbing supply: [i207.photobucket.com]
The bigger box there is a A-1102-A Royal flushometer “performance kit” which includes a dual filtered diaphragm drop-in kit, a triple seal handle repair kit, a high back pressure vacuum repair kit, and a replacement tailpiece O ring. It says on the box 3.5 gpf but I don’t really know the flow rate I need.
The smaller box there is a A-36-A water closet flushometer repair kit with traditional segment diaphragm drop-in kit. But it says 4.5 gpf on it.
One plastic bag there is a B-50-A handle repair kit for a B-32-A handle assembly. Not really sure what handle assembly I have, though.
And in the other bag is a 1” Sloan H-541 control stop repair kit. I’m assuming it’s the right repair parts I need for the stop, although as shown in this picture [i207.photobucket.com]
the new screw stop adjustment is different looking than the old (style shown next to the bag), with the silver (and wider head) screw instead of brass (and smaller head) screw. So I’m a little uncertain about that as well.
Comments please on whether I've got what I need for sure here. I'm sorta hoping I can just use all the parts I got except the "performance kit" which maybe I can just return for now, since it was kinda spendy.

Reply To This Message

All the parts you purchased will work well. If you are in need of performance on an old value use the performance kit. Otherwise the A 36 kit will give you enough water along with the B-50 handle kit. The H 541 ASD is for a screw driver stop and the 541 AWH is for the wheel handle.
Best Wishes

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

As shown here, [www.sloanvalve.com] item number 17, the part H-541-ASD is the control stop repair kit for 1" H-600 screwdriver control stops. As I've mentioned, my (1";) stop has "600 series" stamped on it so if 600 series means the same thing as H-600 then I suppose it would seem certain I have the correct repair kit with the H-541. But the uncertain thing to me about it, to me at this point, is in regard to the difference in appearance of the stop screw with the repair kit in the bag (silver and larger head screw) as compared with that of my existing stop with the smaller size brass screw. Adding to uncertainty is Wheelchair comment "thinking you need the H540 which has been replaced by the H740 Kit".

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

I've was contacted by Sloan after they reviewed the pictures and they state that you have received the correct kit to repair your stop. If you haven't changed it yet... go for it.
Thanks for your patience.
Best Wishes

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Okay, thanks Wheelchair for checking into all that, and hj ("The rubber seal in the shut off valve has disintegrated";). Here's a picture of what I found, and replaced: [i207.photobucket.com]
Not only did it fix the leaking stop, but after changing out the stop the handle stopped leaking too, and all works fine again!
Looks like a minimal-cost fix would've been for me to just replace the broken stop seat (rubber seal) with a new one, Sloan part H-584 (bottom of page 89 here: [www.sloanvalve.com]
Again, thanks.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Glad to read the repair worked and you stopped the leak. By rebuilding the value with new parts you have extended its working life and may not have to work on it for several years. You did well.

Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

Well, there was probably a part of the seal stuck in the valve, but if it stopped leaking through, it probably dislodged and flushed into the toilet.

Reply To This Message

Author: bernabeu (SC)

the handle seal and 'stem' are on the normally dry side of the flushometer valve (wet only while actually flushing)

they are still leaking SLIGHTLY but the normal flush is too short for the water to 'appear'

handle seal can be replaced w/o shutdown ... if done carefully so as not to 'trip the valve'

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Retired U.A. Local 1 & Local 638
~ Measure Twice & Cut Once ~
~ Eight 4 Eight ~

Reply To This Message

Thanks bernabeu for that info. I had actually been wondering about that. Now I know. :thumb:

Reply To This Message

Author: PlumerDan (CA)

glad you had such good luck repairing your valve. relating to repairing the handle while 'live' i do it all the time.....in fact school vandels are now steeling the complete handles for the brass...unbelievable huh.

Reply To This Message

You could install a "Smooth Operator" to conceal the handle assembly and flush automatically.

Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

[www.plumbingsupply.com] :O WOW!

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms