Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 price pfister diverter stem
Author: Susanz (FL)

I have a new replacement diverter stem for my tub/shower but when I try to install I must be doing something wrong it will not divert up to shower head can anyone help?

Reply To This Message

Re: price pfister diverter stem
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Is this a 3 handle faucet, or single handle?

Reply To This Message

yes 3 handle diverter in middle

Reply To This Message

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Make sure the new stem is the correct length, that the washer is in good condition, and that the washer seat (located inside the valve body) is in good condition. It has to be one of the three that is not correct for the diverter not to function correctly.

Reply To This Message

I went to 3 plumbing supply places with old one in tow, physically matching it as well as manuals confirming it to be correct, note when I tried installing the old one again it performed the same way as the new one, not diverting the water

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

"old one again it performed the same way as the new one".
sounds like debris got inside when you took out old part ??????

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

As Packy mentioned, look for debris of a white nylon washer inside the body. Now, when you put the stem back in, turn the stem almost fully counter-clockwise before inserting the assembly into the body.

Reply To This Message

thank you Packy and jimmy-o I have completely cleaned out the manifold and even my neighbor who is handy can't figure it out as to why. I resigned myself to having a spigot with a diverter instead

Reply To This Message

Author: kickintile (CO)

do you know for sure that it was the original diverter stem?
do all three stems look the same?
if it's 25-35 y/o it's prolly a "contempra"..
the diverter knob should only turn 180 degrees..
clockwise is tub and counterclockwise is shower..

kick

Reply To This Message

you are right about operation of knob but only lets perhaps 25 percent to shower I should have let the old one leaK

Reply To This Message

Author: kickintile (CO)

tighten compression washer screw
check for old main stem washers stuck to seat..
take the shower head off and see what happens

kick

Reply To This Message

have tightened screw have checked for waste have taken shower head off and still doesn't divert water to head

Reply To This Message

water does travel to shower head but only in small amount the larger percent still comes out of spigot

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Remove the stem.Draw the stem as small as you can and re install.be sure there is only one seal stem to brass!!!

Reply To This Message

hello lemon plumber you help me last time with my septic it is late I do have questions but must sleep now hope to hear from you tomorrow

Reply To This Message

where you seem to already have a divertor spout solving the problem it works relax and say job done.I might remove the seals from the divertor stem factory to allow higher flow rate from the spout divertor use.rest well.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

does it have the nylon washer? and i am not talking about the gasket that fits over the threads

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

The problem is either in the diverter or the installation, (and since it happens with the old one also, the installation seems to be the problem. We cannot tell you what exactly however since it appears to be some unique problem with your valve), unless you removed the seat when you removed the old stem

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

quote from Lemon; where you seem to already have a divertor spout solving the problem it works relax and say job done

A diverter spout will NOT work with a 3 valve faucet, (unless it is used strictly as a shower), because there is no "restrictor" to prevent flow up to the shower while filling the tub.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

thank you one and all. A days rest clears the head, to those who said there was a nylon washer you win the brass ring. It was not lying on the brass seat and was stretched out,but yet it was impeding the installation. thanks again to all you wonderful people. I love this web site.

Reply To This Message

HJ.where the mix is valve complete and the transfer is only stem deviated.I would remove the deviation.Glad she found the body failure but may have stayed with the abort the part solution.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Toilet Repair Information
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms