Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Plumbing vent inspection testing
Author: yzman720 (MO)

New constreuction home -
Wanting to test my venting with a pressure test before I sheetrock
At my clean out I have already connected my main drain to the neighborhood's sewage system

Is there anyway to test it now that I have already connected the main line? I can't think of a way to plug it its already buried so I am trying to brainstorm

Also I know this is for a leakage test but are there any test you can do to tell you if everything is trapped and vented correctly?

Re: Plumbing vent inspection testing
Author: SMSPlumbing (MD)

I guess your local codes do not require testing and inspections. You are going to have to cap all the vents and drains first. Then put a ball plug in the cleanout that should be located where the pipe comes through the wall. Then somehow rig up a system to get the air in the lines.

As far as testing the traps and vents, you can do a smoke test or a peppermint test.

Author: yzman720 (MO)

Edited 1 times.

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

First you can test ball with stem extensions to hold the connection point.for any true test all points below the roof will need to be capped or plugged.We have been allowed to test by segmented/first ground rough, second and third floors,so on through. to roof vents.each pipe must hold a five foot head above its full point horizontally. With the exception of the vent terminal which is exempt so far.

Here are test balls/balloons
Author: steve (CA)

Author: PlumberManDan (IA)

This is SO FAR FROM LEGAL, OK U want to test it Plug every place in the house you have a fixture, plug the ILLEGALLY connected main, go up on the roof stick a hose down the vent if you have one, let it run until it runs out on the roof, Shut the water off and let it set for 6 hours,call you local officials and have them take a look at it. if they approve then you can continue with your illegal connection.

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

Author: hj (AZ)

If you have the "required" cleanouts on the exiting line, you can install a test ball to seal it. Testing will NOT tell if the vents and traps are correct. Only a visual inspection will show that.

Author: hj (AZ)

Here, and according to the UPC it is TEN feet.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

A 'test tee'

will allow the insertion of a 'test plug'

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: RWP (SD)

Where I worked I had to do a water test on the DWV system. Put in the water until it ran out the roof vents.
That was always fun when there was no water on the job and I had to carry it to the job especially in the winter.

- - - - - - - - - -

Retired after 50 years of plumbing and heating.

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Some day's getting it done is not as much fun as it should be.LOL.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.