Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Crown Venting
Author: SwimRunPlumb (MI)

Why are crown vented traps illegal? Just reading through my code book and was curious.

Re: Crown Venting
Author: Timsplumbing (MA)

Because in essence they make a S trap.

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

any bottom fouling of more than 1/3 of the diameter of the front side makes then useless.as water weigh siphons the seal dry.

Edited 1 times.

My Predecessors Said...
Author: Plumbum (Canada)

Too close to the stack and/or vent

Wind

Oscillation and evaporation

No Crown stuff?

Plumbum

Re: My Predecessors Said...
Author: packy (MA)

i thought that too.
vent too close to the water seal hastens evaporation.

Author: PBwrencher (WI)

Sorry guys you are all wrong!smiling smiley

A "Crown Vent" is a vent that is located within 2 pipe diameters of the trap it is serving.

When a vent is that close it is more subjected to fouling of hair, soap oils, grease, and other debris because; the flow of water does not have a chance to dissipate thus reaching the top of the pipe where the vent is during discharge causing premature failure.

How many guys remember the teaching of hydraulic jump?smiling smiley Not tobe confused it with hydraulic surge.thinking

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

Hmmm! Five answers and it took the fifth one to come up with the correct answer.

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

I vote we discuss the suject over some Crown Royal.

Author: joint-runner (MA)

Thank u PBwrencher for that...We are always Learning...

Don't be afraid to ask a stupid question and be a fool for a few minutes..

It's better than not asking that question and being a fool for life!!!

Edited 1 times.

Author: RWP (SD)

Many years ago I saw S traps with a vent off of the top of the trap. That is a crown vent I take it? I am not at all familiar with this subject.

- - - - - - - - - -

Retired after 50 years of plumbing and heating.

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

where the trap and vent are of equal size!where the vent is larger?

Author: SwimRunPlumb (MI)

Yes RWP, that is what I was referring to. This is only because I read the term, and then did a Google search to see what it looked like.

Author: hj (AZ)

They were much more common when lead traps were used, but there were a few tubular ones made.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.