Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 510,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Washing machine backing up in the drain pipe
Author: brothenb (WA)

I have a perplexing problem. When my washging machine drains, the drain pipe the hose goes into backs up. It just started doing it today. However, I took the drain hose out and ran a garden hose into the drain pipe and it drains with no problem at all, so it seems the drain pipe itself is clear. I let the garden hose run in the drain pipe for about 10 minutes without any problem at all. After I ran the garden hose test, I put the washing machine drain hose back into the drain pipe, put the machine on rinse cycle to add water to the machine then let it start draining again and again it started backing up out of the drain pipe again. Any suggestions? I'm really perlexed on this one.

Additional information - when the pipe backs up, I turn the washer off and it immediately drains. I turn it on again and it backs up. It's almost like there is too much water draining at one time from the washer? The hose that runs from the washer into the drain pipe is a plastic flex hose and it extends into the drain pipe about a foot.

What I don't understand is that when I run a garden hose into the drain pipe, it works fine, no back up and drains like any other drain

Thanks

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Re: Washing machine backing up in the drain pipe
Author: Royboysc (SC)

Your wash machine is probably putting out a higher gpm than the garden hose. Try inserting a piece of 3/4" copper pipe about 8" long into the discharge hose and fasten it with a hose clamp. This will restrict the flow and hopefully your drain will handle the flow.

Reply To This Message

the plastic flex hose already narrows down to a plastic shaft that is about 8 inches long and the opening of that shaft is 3/4" inch in diameter. I've owned this house for 5 years and haven't had any problems until today, do you think I should try something even smaller? Is it possible that there is something in the washing machine that controls the output flow that maybe stopped working? Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to plumbing and it probably shows in my questions :-)

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

You seem to have developed a down stream drainage problem and a full sized snaking of the discharge line seems to be called for.

Reply To This Message

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

I've never seen any kind of internal regulator on a washer discharge. I think your washer is fine. I'll bet you have a partial blockage somewhere downstream from the machine. Best Wishes.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: dickr (NY)

look at the thread "clothes washer backup" below, that might be the problem. when i encountered it, it sure looked like the drain backing up.

Reply To This Message

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

Agree. Not only can a slit appear in the hook of a rubber hose, they can also easlily appear in one of the segments of plastic flex hose, which also may seem to be a drain problem at first.
Check the discharge hose closely when it's rinsing. Thanks for the head's up.

Reply To This Message

Well, it doesn't appear to be the flex hose, so I guess I'm calling a plumber :-)

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms