Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
Buy plumbing supplies online
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 How Can I Remove Frozen Bonnet on Valley Single-Handle Tub/Shower Faucet?
Author: RonP (MD)

I have the Valley single-handle tub/shower faucet diagrammed under the heading "Old Style (before `1993)" here:

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

This unit was installed in 1979 and has worked fine all these years since with periodic replacement of its inner valve components.

The threaded chrome-plated brass "bonnet", which is part 24, is pictured here, except that my bonnet has a knurled circumference to facilitate grabbing it:

This bonnet must be removed to replace the inner workings of the valve.

Normally, this bonnet unscrews by hand relatively easily. But this time the bonnet is frozen
so tight that I cannot not remove it, even with a wrench. I have tried penetrating oil,
Coca Cola, and CLR as solvents applied around the circumference of the bonnet without
success. I do not believe the bonnet is cross threaded.

Can you offer any suggestions on how to remove the bonnet? For example, is there
another solvent that I should try? Or should I attempt to sacrifice this bonnet by
cutting it off? If cutting is necessary, can you suggest how to proceed with the cutting action?

Thank you for your kind assistance.

RonP

Reply To This Message

Re: How Can I Remove Frozen Bonnet on Valley Single-Handle Tub/Shower Faucet?
Author: packy (MA)

it is possible that you have distorted the cap slightly trying to loosen it.
try a basin wrench. it may grab the cap well enough. otherwise, cut it ever so carefully
sometimes you can slice down 95% of the way and it will be enough to allow it to turn.
so, cut a little, try to turn. repeat 'till it works.

Reply To This Message

Packy, thank you for the suggestion. Much appreciated.

RonP

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

I heat it with a small torch to "melt" the corrosion holding it in place.

Reply To This Message

Author: RWP (SD)

Sometimes tapping it gently will loosen the nut or anything else you want to loosen.

- - - - - - - - - -

Retired after 50 years of plumbing and heating.

Reply To This Message

Author: bernabeu (SC)

use a chain type strap wrench (may scratch the chrome, but WILL unscrew part)

================================================

Retired U.A. Local 1 & Local 638 ~ Measure Twice & Cut Once ~

Reply To This Message

hj, RWP, bernabeu,

Thank you for your suggestions. I am considering.

Also, I went back for a very close look at the frozen bonnet, with a large magnifying glass and a bright light, and realize belatedly that there IS a possibility that the bonnet is cross threaded. My apologies to all for not realizing this possibility in my original message.

The force that I have applied to the bonnet with a very large pair of pliers, in several tries to loosen the bonnet, was so high that I was concerned about bending the pipes to which the valve body is soldered. Unfortunately, the valve body is supported only by the connected pipes, since the valve body is not connected to a wooden support, and only light weight, long machine screws hold the valve body to the round cover plate over the round hole in the wall.

One possibility is to cut the bonnet off, making an effort to avoid damaging the threads on the valve body, which may be difficult. Then there is the question of whether a new bonnet, which is available, could be screwed back on after the combined damage done to the threads by (1) the possible cross threading, and (2) the removal of the current bonnet by cutting it off.

Again, all comments are most appreciated.

RonP

Reply To This Message

Author: NICK (CA)

Heat!!! hj is right. touching it with a torch as needed will loosen it. I even carry a micro torch for more delicate situations where you might have pop metal, aluminum, plastic or o rings involved. The heat loosens and it also slightly expands the female part. Other than that i use mapp gas on steel and rough stuff and it works like a charm every time. I will be surprised if it doesnt work. in this situation i would apply a little at a time.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.