Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 gas shut off valve inside the fireplace fire box?
Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

i have a builder who wants a log lighter valve inside the fire box itself...i cannot find a legal valve and because of the rubber internal valve parts i dont expect to find one..

im just checking with you guys to see if anyone knows of such a product?

Re: gas shut off valve inside the fireplace fire box?
Author: phillyplbg (PA)

How about a dante valve, it will fit flush against the stone or wall next to the fire place

Author: hj (AZ)

Probably because it would be illegal. The shutoff MUST be outside the firebox, but close enough so that you can operate it while igniting the log lighter. Inside the firebox, it would be impossible to operate in the event of a malfunction and/or blaze inside the firebox.

Author: dlh (TX)

never seen one and would never install one if i had since it would be almost impossible to shut off without burning yourself

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

i agree....i told the builder to do a log lighter w/ the valve in the wall...he didnt want to open up the wall and the product he was planning on using(whatever it was) wont work...im letting the fireplace installers figure it out now

thanks for the advice!

Author: bernabeu (SC)

Gas valve inside fireplace?

Can we say: 'CRIMINALLY NEGLIGENT HOMICIDE' ???

angry

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: SMSPlumbing (MD)

All the log lighter installation documents I have dealt with state:

GAS LINE INSTALLATION : Do not install gas controls inside the firebox burn chamber. Gas controls must be appropriately located away from fire or properly shielded to prevent overheating from exposure to the wood fire. Pipes present in the firebox chamber will conduct heat. To avoid a fire hazard, maintain ½” clearance from log lighter to combustibles within 6” of point where gas line passes through the side of any fireplace.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

DOH

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Royboysc (SC)

Log lighters have been removed from our list of acceptable appliances because they don't have a pilot light or thermocouple to shut them off.

Author: dlh (TX)

that is about stupid since should be shut off after the fire has started anyway, hence the name "log lighter"

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Author: Royboysc (SC)

Yes, the valve SHOULD be shut off after the fire starts but sometimes it takes a little time to start the wood to burn and if the homeowner dials it way down, a downdraft might blow it out.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.