Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 toilet bowl not holding water
Author: rockhead (NC)

am having a problem with toilet bowl not holding water. i see no leaks on floor or under the house but can hear water slowly draining. i took toilet outside and placed it on 2 buckets and filled the bowl with water, and it held water to proper level, did that prove there is no leak and i have some other problem going on ?

Reply To This Message

Re: toilet bowl not holding water
Author: packy (MA)

couple of things that can cause the bowl to lose water are a crack below the water line or a string like object hanging down inside the toilet trap and syphoning water out of the bowl.
your test seems to eliminate these two causes.
if your bowl loses water and you pour a couple of cups of water back in does it lose that water as well? try this a couple of time in sucession with out running water anywhere else in the house.
does this happen only when the wind is blowing?

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

a restricted sewer line could cause this also

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: Paul48 (CT)

When you put the toilet back in, you had the same problem? Does the bowl drain completely? How long does it take? Check the flapper by putting some food coloring in the tank. The dripping you hear may be the flapper leaking.I know, that still doesn't answer the question, but you need to know this, and it fits with the no-leak when toilet removed.Is this a newly installed toilet? Is it an older toilet with the tank recently replaced? Is it a rarely used toilet?Has an auger been used recently in the toilet? Please include as much info as possible about the toilet, even if it doesn't seem relevant.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

i've added water and it leaks out, too, whether or not the wind is blowing. am at a total loss of what is causing this.

Reply To This Message

its a 2 year old toilet. it had been removed for a month during a remodel job, and put back in, that's when the problem started. the tank isn't leaking, just the bowl. almost at the point of calling a plumber in, or getting a new toilet, but just don't see how it could be the toilet.

Reply To This Message

have the drain line for it cleaned

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

if the toilet was removed for some construction work, it is possible that some debris fell into the toilet drain?
as suggested, pull the toilet and stick a snake wire down the drain..

Reply To This Message

packy....you mean like one of the rags stuffed in the open drain? How many times have you seen that?

Reply To This Message

i ALWAYS advise people to stuff newspaper into an open drain. if it fall in, it will disolve.
as plumbers, we should use proper test caps or test plugs.
so, once again, to any homeowners or contractors out there who need to keep debris from falling into an open drain, use newspaper not a towel or rags.

Reply To This Message

Did you move fixtures around during that remodel?

Reply To This Message

yes, moved the sink, but was TOLD hat wouldn't cause a problem.

Reply To This Message

can you draw what you had vs what you did?

Reply To This Message

the sink drain was t'd into the sink in bathroom next to it, we cut it out and ran it under the house and put trap in crawl space, so it could come up into a pedastal sink, reran water lines the same route. i keep asking the guy who helped w/work and he keeps saying what we did wouldn't have a thing to do with it. did filling the toilet w/water outside and it holding prove it's not cracked ?

Reply To This Message

it is the end of the line as far as the drains under the house go, if that's any help in determining the problem. as you can tell don't know plumbing lingo !! now if you have a phone question lol !

Reply To This Message

It's easy enough to prove out......stop using that basin for a couple days. Shut the water off, so nobody can use it. See if the water in the toilet still goes down.

Reply To This Message

and that will prove whether or not its cracked correct ? so doing it outside didn't prove anything when it held water ?

Reply To This Message

exactly what will that prove? not using the sink will prove nothing with the toilet that i can think of.

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

Not using the sink may prove out whether or not they altered the plumbing in such a way as to siphon the toilet. Bear in mind......the problem started after construction.

Reply To This Message

the sink hasn't even been hooked up yet, although i did shut-off the toilet supply line and it filled up almost full in the bowl, before draining down, but i didn't wait 2 days, just a couple hours, needed the bathrooom. all i really want to do is prove the toilet is cracked or not first off, then move on to other what ifs.

Reply To This Message

The only way the bowl can fill almost all the way is if there is a restriction in the drain. If I'm reading your post correctly.

Reply To This Message

a sink usually wont use enough water to siphon a toilet and is why wet vents work

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

dlh..........Trying to get as much "Oh,by the way" info as possible. It's a moot point because the sink isn't connected. Only God and the original poster know for sure how it was plumbed. As it appears , and if I'm reading his last post correctly, you were right and he has a restriction in the drain.

Reply To This Message

ok, will pull the toilet and check for blockage, seems to be the consensus. hope that's the problem.

Reply To This Message

Pull the toilet and snake the drain.Don't just CHECK the drain.

Reply To This Message

Author: Jdaltadams (LA)

Your problem could be partial sewer line clog especially if your toilet is installed on a wet vent system the clog could be not allowing the vent to properly work. simple solution have sewer line cabled.Or could also be due to how your friend or who ever re-ran the plumbing for sink may have installed in away that effected the proper venting of the toilet. Your post said the sink drain was t'd into the sink in bathroom next to it,( is this another bath with another toilet and when u flush that toilet does water in problem toilet bowl bounce up in down) we cut it out and ran it under the house and put trap in crawl space, so it could come up into a pedastal sink,( you did not have to come through floor for pedestal sink pedestal has access for trap from wall rough-in also why take rough-in from sink in bath next to it and not the sink that was in that bath already.)So don't think he knew what he was doing. He assured you he did but your problems started after what ever he did! (If latter is problem hire licensed plumber to remedy your problem because what friend did may have to be redone!) reran water lines the same route. i keep asking the guy who helped w/work and he keeps saying what we did wouldn't have a thing to do with it. did filling the toilet w/water outside and it holding prove it's not cracked ? Another question is bowl set level on floor or could it be tilted back to the point where its draining itself. If so u will not need a level to check it because if so a blind man could see if that was the problem.

Seriously hire a licensed plumber from now on if u wan't to save money and yourself from headaches in the long run.
Hope you learned this lesson.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.