Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 grey plastic pipes with Delta Kitchen faucets-Good? Bad? Legal in NYC buildings??
Author: samsam (NY)

I just installed A new Delta kitchen faucet. It looks great, but then a contractor friend said the plastic pipes that feed in the hot and cold water are not legal in NYC buildings and they spring leaks and cause major damage. Is this true? I tried to look up the code, but couldn't figure it out.
Are they illegal?
Are they prone to splitting and leaking?

Thanks!
Sam

Reply To This Message

Re: grey plastic pipes with Delta Kitchen faucets-Good? Bad? Legal in NYC buildings??
Author: packy (MA)

i can't address the legality of pex in your area. but, i can tell you that properly installed, they are not prone to leaks nor explosion.
they are plastic because EPA has banned lead in plumbing supply lines.

Reply To This Message

Re: grey plastic pipes with Delta Kitchen faucets-Good? Bad? Legal in NYC buildings??
Author: PlumerDan (CA)

if it's code ask your local inspector....

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

If they are NOT code in NYC, they had better start modifying the codes, because that may soon be all you can get.

Reply To This Message

Author: Royboysc (SC)

He may be referring to Polybutylene piping which is grey, but it has been off the market for years now.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Plumbing appurtenance .Where this is known and shown ,you have rights too.Where it is not known you may subject the authority to define.Where the plumbers sets the system changes after the stops are not in most codes controlled. You might remove your faucet and cap the stops and call for re-inspection.I would never install a faucet in California.But install test water bibs for inspection.As required if dwv is in question.Sorry this delta product does exceed your needs and Delta would be the one to call if any code failure from install result's.sorry the new plex compound is in the well used range if directions are followed.I cut the factory ends for use.I add protective brass sleeves too.You need only leave the faucets directions on the counter behind the faucet to leave the inspector to fail the numbers and he would.The code compliance is [by the numbers].Having questions about the silver-ish tubing make up.I have delta to to cover any tubing failure costs./And the inspector relaxed.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

not when he is talking about it coming with the new faucet he bought.

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

dlh /sorry only when\He is installing an only all delta product to the plumbing system.We can MASco if the code is going to inspect the use of the limits of the wording.Where all fixtures dw wm refrig would have copper tubing as support products.where the stop is installed the delta faucet is an appurtenance!Not dodge/move to remove question, so no gun play is involved.

Reply To This Message

?

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

I wonder if PRO326 will say that this reply from Lemon also "makes sense".

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

"makes sense" is a relative term..

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

NYC is not the only place where plastic is not allowed. It has to do with fire codes, and teh relatively catastrophic results that can occur from a pipe failure in a high rise. I think city of SF also has problems.

Let me summarize where we are at:

1) The lead free is NOT a California invention. It is a FEDERAL law. But CA implemented 2010, federal goes mandatory 2014
2) most faucet manufacturers are moving their product lines NOW to conform, because split inventory is costly
3) Delta is using the PVC supply lines, mainly on single handel kitchens. PP has braided ss flex, Moen similar. Lavs etc are still often brass shanks, either plastic lined, or as with Chicago and T&S...making it all out of "new brass"
3) There are plenty of choices which have brass shanks, or copper tubes, either 3/8 for compression hook up, or with 1/2" new brass MIP adapter soldered on. Brands to look at on this..Cleveland, American Standard, and the Globe Union brands.

4) Expect plenty of surprises and mixed inventory over the next 12 to 18 months as this evolves

NOW... if you like lead free faucets, you'll love the light bulb deal: Jan 2011, 100 watt bulbs banned. Jan 2013...GONE> all incandesent bulbs bigger than 25 watts. ( those are CA dates, Federal is one year later)

Reply To This Message

Author: bernabeu (SC)

good excuse for the makers to pawn off hi-priced junk

BRONZE anyone ? .... does not 'leach' lead .... cheaper in the long run

Chicago, T&S, beleive it or not: some Kohler, will be more to come

ps. the regulation(s) do not ban lead, merely control its 'leaching' into potable water

there are alloys which do not leach lead ... but more costly

...rant over

================================================

Retired U.A. Local 1 & Local 638 ~ Measure Twice & Cut Once ~ ~ Eight 4 Eight ~

Reply To This Message

Author: Nayman's Drain Services (Non-US)

Poly-B was outlawed due to the (supposed)carcinogenic properties.
Pex took its place.
And the only way to find out if it's against code, is to ask a plumbing inspector in NYC.
(something tells me it's not)

---------------

Reply To This Message

Author: RWP (SD)

New York State plumbing code says the fixture supplies will be completely metal. New York City is even more rigid than the state.

- - - - - - - - - -

Retired after 50 years of plumbing and heating.

Reply To This Message

Author: SwimRunPlumb (MI)

The OP does not say that the plastic tubes came with the faucet. He merely said that WHILE installing a new faucet, he was told that the hot and cold feed were no good. This could still refer to PB coming into the cabinet.

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

quote: Author: bernabeu (SC)
the regulation(s) do not ban lead, merely control its 'leaching' into potable water "

The regulation DOES in fact ban lead...actually it says the total lead content of all surfaces in contact with the water cannot exceed 0.25%

It makes no mention of whether or how any lead may leach out, only the total lead content.

Yes, some companies are using "new lead" to comply. The reason it makes things more expensive is that the raw stock costs more and it is harder, so the machining processes cost more.

Reply To This Message

They do not "ban lead" but they DO control its concentration in brass in contact with potable water, which in effect is about the same thing.

Reply To This Message

he installed a new delta faucet and said that "plastic lines feed into the faucet". i can pretty much guaranty that it is the plastic lines that come with new delta faucets that he is referring to

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

...said faucet IS NOT compliant for a building over 4 stories in NYC

Reply To This Message

The code ends at the stop.that is NYC, as said the/ supply\.and the word of the day.Appurtenance!I would and or must have ASTM measures for all. If any would be referred to in any other way.I may be the only one.but where a washing machine may use rubber it is not my job.where a dw may use ss braided it is not my job.Where the faucet is plastic.It is not my job.When I can walk in turn my job off, controlling the water off .I have my job.what the code controls where my plumbing is done.That is my job.What they think should be attached to what I have provided is not my job.where they think they control it .if they allow it,s sales they are either wrong by code or allowing it.I would lay on the laws side.and the inspector gets another do not f with what we are not really controlling note.I am at my stop valves code legal.and at that point.I leave you all at your own code review hands.Funny after all that we are using brass valves and copper to supply from stop ????Where the faucet is not it's own supply to our stops!!

Reply To This Message

...gobbledegook...

Reply To This Message

No available/legal faucet is?At what point did the supply end?I love unusable codes!What other ge fridgeair maytag /ect appert.have been declined on inspection?I would have your inspectors job on his next job.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.