Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Hole Size for Pipe Passage Through Framing
Author: keithailor (AL)

I'm replumbing a trailer with Rehau PEX. I'll be using 1/2" and 3/4" PEX. How wide of a hole should I drill through the framing. Do you professionals size the hole bigger to allow for possible pipe expansion? For example, I measured the outside diameter of the 3/4" PEX and determined that a 1" hole through the framing would leave maybe 1/16" clearance around the pipe. Is this enough room? There is no reason, that I can determine, to drill a great big hole and then use an entire can of spray foam to try and fill the gap. Thanks, as always!

Reply To This Message

Re: Hole Size for Pipe Passage Through Framing
Author: SMSPlumbing (PA)

You are correct as to have the hole bigger than the pipe for the pipe expansion.

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Don't forget the protective grommet where the pex comes in contact with the metal of the frame and vibrations.

Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

Author: keithailor (AL)

where can I purchase these grommets? Are they long enough to go through a (5.5";) 2" x 6"?

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

I'm sure there are several manufacturers of this product. Sioux Chief is just one.
Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Well the right size holes are very sightly larger a 1/16".Never a 2 "hole for two 3/4 tubes.It is two 1"holes one over the top of the other with the hot line above and both as near the center of the stud as possible!No sleeves on wood passage/ONLY metal.where tubing control needs be placed the top plate and fire blocking could take foam.but any air barrier that dose not harm the tubing like chalking could also be used.Be aware foam o fill may cause thermal clicking.not harmful but audible nuisance.Never get structural foam near a fitting.

Reply To This Message

Author: Royboysc (SC)

If you use the snap in grommets, they require a 1-1/4" hole but the grommets sure work nicely.

Reply To This Message

Author: caja715 (Non-US)

and if you are doing drywall after all is ran, and your running the lines through 2x4 strike plates are a nice piece of mind

Reply To This Message

we call them nail plates and they are code.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; .It is two 1"holes one over the top of the other with the hot line above

WHY does the hot have to go on top, especially since the tradition, dating back to the days of the "trough wash sink" has been cold on top so you do not get burned by leaning on the piping.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

They are not only "nice" but required, and we use 1 1/2"x6" ones.

Reply To This Message

when the tubing is enveloped.the hot when not insulated should not effect cold temp.It can when installed below the cold.here it is humidity question also.but since some area's have low condensation problems guess hot when not exposed should still be on the top!think the very nature or temperature movement would require it.cold low hot high.You already know, I believe any new un- insulated hot line is defective.

Reply To This Message

Author: mr leak (CA)

Pex makes isolators that are sized for 1/2 and 3/4 pex both sizes are designed to go in a 1 3/8 hole Run the pipe thru the hole then place the isolater around the pipe [they are split so spread easily at point of use ]then tap in place with a hammer Done they isolate and "grip" the pex

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.