Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Unclogging toilet when auger and plunger wont work.
Author: ingndave (CA)

Recently, my downstairs toilet has become clogged. I believe the cap to an air freshner fell into the toilet and is the result of the clog. Unfortunately, this was not made known to me ahead of time and after a few failed attempts at using a plunger and using a toilet auger I have the feeling that I've unknowingly made the problem worse. If, in fact, it is the cap to an air freshner which in this case would measure 1 1/2 inches across and about 2 inches long, how can I remove this object or push it through? Obviously, I'm not a plumbing expert. However, Id prefer a non invasive method, if at all possible.

Thanks

Re: Unclogging toilet when auger and plunger wont work.
Author: Plumbum (Canada)

Hi homeowner

Freshener cap...Dimensions don't matter at this point
Failed attempts
May have made it worse you say...probably not

Non-invasive method? That will be the method

If I didn't know this trade I would cut my losses and hire a pro

I suck at electrical!

Good luck

Bum

Author: steve (CA)

Pull the toilet and try to remove the cap from the underside.

Author: Nayman's Drain Services (Non-US)

I agree with Steve(CA)

IF your dimensions are correct, then way I would do, is to yank the toilet. If you can see the offending object, try to pull it thru with a pair of LONG needle-nose pliers. However, if you can't, run the closet auger backwards,(FROM THE BOTTOM UP) and push it out that way.
You can use a small mirror to see up the galleries and try to figure out if you're succeeding.
Don't forget to use a NEW wax seal when re-setting your W/C.

---------------

Author: dlh (TX)

yep, yanking the toilet is the next step

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

If a consumer knows little to nothing.... hire someone who is certified and licensed to know. Your mistakes now, could costs you a bundle down the road if ignored. Plunging has proven itself to be ineffective and now you have to consider what has been offered by the pro's.

I don't know if you are up to turning off the water and empting the tank and bowl, in order to removing the toilet. This is what has to be done. Plastic cups don't dissolve by themselves.

Next time be more careful and I hope you learned a valuable lesson.
Best Wishes

Author: ingndave (CA)

thanks for all the responses. Actually even though i got blasted on one response i had no intention of exacerbating the problem anymore. I will be calling a plumber shortly.

Thank you again

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

pull the toilet and snake it backwards...

i typically ask the customer at this point how old their toilet is and how often if plugs...i upsell 50% of them to a Toto Drake or Kohler Cimerron

the labor is the same all you pay different for is the toilet itself

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

You are both smart and wise to have hired a licensed plumber. The labor is easy when they know what to do and how to do it.

When done, you will have peace of mind and a toilet that functions as designed.
Best Wishes

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

I have had some luck when the obstruction being of plastic was known .By wet vacuuming dry the bowl ,using a tourch to heat the end of my closet auger and melt retrieving the item.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.